View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Moving companies - whats your experience?

For my first and only moving-company move, I went with a company that came highly recommended by two of my friends. They were by far the most expensive of all the companies I talked to, but both friends said they were well worth it. Well, the day of the move comes and they are supposed to be there at 9am. At 10:30 I'm starting to get worried so I call them. They tell me that they were overbooked for that day, so they had to subcontract to another company, and that I'd have to call them. They eventually show up around 11. They were quick and efficient, but they asked what room to put stuff in and then proceeded to put half the stuff in the wrong rooms (which for the most part we didn't notice until later). Amazingly nothing was broken, but there were quite a few knicks and scratches on the wooden furniture, and one shelf in a bookcase never turned up at all... I'm assuming it got broken and they just didn't bring it in rather than letting us find out it was broken. I ended up having to pay the high price even though I didn't get the good movers.

I guess the moral of my particular story is to make sure that if you go with a mover that was recommended by someone that you will be serviced by them and not subcontracted to someone else.