View Single Post
Old 05-26-2006, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Roller/Ice Hockey.... beginning Q\'s

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I always heard Goalie was expensive. I thought it would be under $1,000 though.. they do get to play for free.

How physical are leagues? How long do you play in drop-ins and leagues? Do they actually roll lines out?

Thanks again for the help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Off the top of my head, I believe new leg pads alone start at about $1600. That's for decent. Top of the line are probably at least a grand more.

You can start in a league right away. Even if you don't know someone who runs a team, the local rink will have postings for teams who need players. Just make sure its your skill level. Contact whoever runs the league. He'll definitly steer you in the right direction.

You can play drop-in as long as you like. I would do it just to give yourself a certain comfort level before playing in a league. I know guys that play in three leagues and play drop-in every chance they get.

Though almost all the leagues are no-checking, some leagues are rougher than others. As a rule, the higher the skill level of the league the chippier the play. But there are idiots at every level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know it was no-checking. That's cool for me [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I guess my best option is roller-hockey, but I'm assuming my K2 skates won't be the ones I'm using for hockey. Oh well, I guess it can't hurt to actually learn to master those first.

The rink offers classes, do you think I should enroll? It's 6 weeks and teaches "fwd. skating, falls/dips, hockey position, one foot glides, swizzles wiggles, stroking, turns, mohawks, etc."

No idea what those are...

I wish I knew how to skate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Even if goalie is expensive, do you think it would be the easiest choice? It could actually be break-even or at least on par with being a skater if I played hockey for years (don't know if I have to replace equipment or not...)

Can you link me to what kind of puck they use in roller hockey?