View Single Post
Old 05-25-2006, 10:01 PM

Default Roller/Ice Hockey.... beginning Q\'s

Hello all. I'm not sure if this is the right forum or if I should have posted it in OOT, but here it goes.

My hometown just got a ECHL team (Stockton Thunder). Being the good resident I went to the new arena. Wow, I was totally hooked. I ended up going to 3 other ECHL games and watching almost every single Sharks game since the Joe Thornton trade. Also attended 3 Sharks regular season games and Game 5 vs the Oilers.

Now, I want to get into it. I miss playing a type of sport. None of my friends want to play a sport daily like I do otherwise I'd just be messing around in basketball or tennis. The problem is... I can't skate. So I did research, found something called floorball which sounded cool but it's not available where I live.

How good at skating do you have to be to play in a small league? Ice/Roller make a difference? Do you think I have a better shot at being goalie, d, or forward? I know there are different levels, so if someone can give me a breakdown on how good of a skater you will have to be in each level. I know I'm ignoring the other skills but I think I could learn those much easier. How important is size in low-level leagues? I'm tall but skinny. Again, does it factor into goalie/d/forward?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking at some quick advice and don't really know where to post. Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]