View Single Post
Old 05-15-2006, 05:14 PM

Default Re: The ol\' hidden high denomination chip trick

Here's a story from the Wynn about 10 days ago.

Sitting at the 1-3 NL game, a strong player 2 to my left has about 3K in front of him. A seemingly loose ad crazy player immediately to my left sat down earlier with about 300, and was down to about $45 or so. I saw him reach into his pocket and pull out a 500 chip and 2 100 chips, and put them in play between hands. My first instinct was that I was the only one who noticed this, and that he was possibly making a move on the guy to his right. Sure enough, a couple of hands later, this came up:

Multiway unraised pot, flop 448 rainbow. Both of these players are in the hand, 3 chip bet on the flop ($9) and a call. Turn comes blankish, and the big stack bets about 30 this time, and a call. The angle-shooter has about 6 $3 chips left, and a 500 and 2 100s hidden at the bottom of that stack. The river comes a third 4, and the bigstack says "uh, I'll just put you all in..." and the angle-shooter immediately calls and throws in 700 and change. Right away, the table is in shock, as they had no idea he was so deep, and the bigstack is a bit surprised as well, and he says "well, that's OK, I put you all in anyway..." and rolls over the case 4 for quads.

I suspect the angle-shooter had 88 for the flopped boat, but who knows.

We all agreed it served him right for hiding the big chips.