View Single Post
Old 05-14-2006, 06:01 AM

Default Re: The ol\' hidden high denomination chip trick

[ QUOTE ]
The rule is if the player grossly underestimated the size of a call due to hidden chips then the call can be returned. It is every player's responsibility to keep their big chips visible or else they can lose a call this way. This just happened to me last week at Borgata when a guy had 75 in green behind and I moved in on him, when the dealer realized this he gave me my action back. At the very least when someone pushes a stack of different denominations the dealer should cut them off to clarify the bet size.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct except the dealer should not touch the bet unless asked to count it.

As a bettor at no limit poker you have an obligation to protect your hand until it is clear your opponant understands the size of your wager. In the example given above if he actual bet is $144, but the opponant says "call" and puts out $44 it is clear he does not understand the amount of the bet. If the first player shows his hand at teh first mention of "call" he runs the risk of the player misunderstanding the amount of the bet. Also chips that are intentional hidden can be ruled to not be in play. There are people that beleive no chip larger than the min buy-in should be permitted on the table, but I believe that not allowing players to hide their chips is enough.