View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Battle of the blinds (9 handed)

I am in the big blind with $1100. Villain is the SB and covers. Villain is a winning player. I would not classify him as a LAG, but he is aggressive and does bluff. Villain probably views me as very tight.

It is folded around to the SB. He makes it $35. He would do this with a wide range of playable hands. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the BB and reraise to $100. He calls.

My plan is to bet on any flop, but to check behind if an ace hits on a relatively safe board.

Flop ($200):
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He checks. I check.

Turn ($200):
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He immediately fires out $200. I call.

River ($600)
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He immediately pushes all-in. It is $800 for me to call.

I checked because I wanted to send the signal that I didn't like the A on the flop (which seems to work sometimes even though I would almost always continuation bet with an underpair there). But now that I had gotten what I had wanted (him betting into me), I wasn't feeling so confident about my "trap". I wasn't expecting him to bet this hard and was now thinking AQ was no good here.

Call or fold?