View Single Post
Old 08-07-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Andy B\'s 4000th Post: The Book Thread to End All Book Threads

I'm too tired to go into much detail but this is my experience. I was a crappy stud player. I bought 7CS4AP and I got a little better (playing 1/2). I decided even though stud was the game I had the most experience with I was stagnated so I played hold em and other games for a while. Then, I discovered Roy Wests' book and it's discussion of 3rd street decisions, tempered by TOP and a re-reading of 7CS4AP helped me get to a point of feeling comfortable in any stud game 10/20 and down. Roy is obviously weak/tight in spots but I'd say it's analagous to Winning Low Limit Hold Em by Lee Jones. That book has helped a lot of players move up thru small stakes games up to big hold em games, regardless of some weak/tight thinking and passive advice. Wests book just helped me to think about the right things on 3rd street.

That being said if I was going to lock someone in a room with a party account and one poker book and then bet on whether they'd be able to teach themselves to beat a stud game or any other game for that matter it would be The Theory of Poker. It is the only indespensable poker book.