View Single Post
Old 05-01-2006, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Coping with GOOD luck

[ QUOTE ]
Good advice, I do that too. In this case it isn't an amount per se, I've had bigger days, it is the first day of the month and I'd just as soon bank a juicy day than bust up a streak of good play. But unlike you I have I have the option of moving up and scoring bigger (or losing it all back in a hand), so I wonder if I am being lame or losing my nerve in a manner of speaking.

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally, I think you are approaching this fine (by sitting out and banking a strong 1st day to the month). Purists will tell you that you are making a mistake by not playing when the games are good, you're playing well, and so on--the hours-not-results crowd. This might be true in theory, but it completely ignores human nature: like much of the online poker community, you obviously keep track of stats on a by-month basis. Just take a look at all the threads here and in BBV that begin with the name of a month. Therefore, your current mindset depends on how well you're doing in the current month. As such, booking a win to start off the month on a good note and fortify your confidence going forward seems like a very good decision to me. On the flipside, if you were to take a shot at 1k, suffer a bad beat, and end up even or down for the day, then you might slip into a tailspin.

I am the same way, and I openly admit that it is theoretically a weakness to rely on a keep-the-ball-rolling approach to results on a by-month basis. But I think it's better to acknowledge that weakness and work around it (like you are doing here) instead of trying to brute-force suppress it by continuing to play and so on.