View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 01:29 PM

Default Re: **** Official Patriots - Broncos Thread ****

[ QUOTE ]
Should be a good game and should be close. I think the Broncos have their hands full and may well lose. All year doubters (like me) have been waiting for Plummer to have the bad game. He hasn't collapsed yet. But what better time than against a good experienced well-coached team in the playoffs? We'll see. And the fact the Patriots lost once to them this year bothers me. Different team now, but seems like its still hard to beat a good team twice in the same year for whatever reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's a post I made in another thread about the differences betwene the first game and the upcoming game. granted, the Bronco's are also improved.

"Looking back on the first game, here are some notable differences then/now from the Patriots perspective

Offense:
Corey Dillon didn't play
Kevin Faulk didn't play
2 rookies, OG Mankins and OT Kazcur, were still in "thrown into the fire" mode. these guys are both playing well now, and were not back then. in fact, here is an interesting qoute from after the game:

''We knew where to attack," confirmed Denver defensive end Trevor Pryce. ''The [quarterback pressure] was planned. We were going at those two young guys [Nick Kaczur and Logan Mankins]. They knew it. The guard [Mankins], he couldn't deal. But give the tackle [Kaczur] credit. He's not bad."

the offense still scored 20 points, which isn't terrible. the real problem was...

Defense:
(front 7)

Richard Seymour didn't play
Tedy Bruschi didn't play
Rose Colvin wasn't being featured yet/Vrabel was still playing OLB. So, the starting ILB's were Chad Brown and Monty Beisel, 2 guys who don't figure to play much at all (if any) this time around. The Broncos ran for about 170 yards the first time around, which I really doubt will be possible this time.

(Backfield)
Disasterous Duane Starks (who gave up 2 huge plays this game) had yet to be injured/replaced by Ellis Hobbs

the rest of the young guys (Sanders, Samuel), similar to the OLineman, really weren't playing well yet
Plummer really shredded this unit, to the tune of 17-24, 262 yards,2 TD's, O int.

Although this unit is still the weakness of the Pats, I'm not sure if Plummer can be this effective again."