View Single Post
Old 04-28-2006, 03:28 PM

Default Not raising big aces pf?

So I am relatively new to NL and I have now played a few thousand hands. I felt I have done OK except for my big aces which I have lost a lot of money with, especially AK. Now I understand the value of raising pf because this is for value and we are dominating any other aces at the talbe.

I have had a very difficult time though because when I raise pf, a few people call, someone bets into me on the flop, I raise and suddenly the pot is out of control.

Here is a fine example of me on one such butchered hand [not for the faint of heart]

Party Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
4 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $53.51
Hero: $58.06
SB: $28.14
BB: $67.45

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($10, 4 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">BB bets $9.5</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $22</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($54, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $33.56</font>, BB calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($121.12, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $121.12)

Results:
Final pot: $121.12

So, for the time being that I am still trying to learn pot control and playing OOP, is it absurd to suggest that I don't raise AK and AQ OOP, possibly only raising from the button. These hands are really hurting me at the moment. Can I play more conservative for now or just face the growing pains?

I feel dirty for having written this post...