View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 05:12 PM

Default Re: what specs should I get for my new dell E1705?

I just ordered one of these for my daughter.

First of all -- you have to really search on the dell site for the best deal. Depending on which button you push, you can spend $1000 (shipping included) or $1350 for literally the same machine.

As of 5 minutes ago, the best deal I was able to find on this was 34% off. You find it in the Home Section by clicking "Latest Deals", then click the "Notebooks" then click "Deals you won't see in stores", then "Notebook Savings Spotlight" (Dell really hides these things) -- Alternatively, there's another thread here, entitled "dual core processors" or something like that, the first post has a link to this site.

Goodies I ordered --

1. I went with the 1.66 gh dual core processor. Unless you know of a reason to get more, this should be adequate.

2. This promotion comes with a gig of memory. Though 512 megs may be all right for most users, it's cheaper to buy the machine on the promotion with the greater memory.

3. I got Windows Media Center (no additional charge) and bought the Operating System Reinstallation disk.

4. I took the true life monitor, but didn't spring the extra $40 for wide screen svga+.

5. For $13, I added the blue tooth wi-fi card, because the blue tooth mouse is great.

6. I upgraded the graphics card to the 128 meg ATI Mobility -- my daughter's graphic design program needs this.

7. I added the 24 month Virus Protection

8. I got a backpack for carrying.

9. I got the better battery.

This brought the machine in at just over $1000. If you use Dell's Credit facility, they'll give you a $50 rebate and no interest till 2007.

My guess is that this set up should work for anyone but a power user. Super Price.