View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Help me buy a PC for poker (money no object)

The reason I dislike dell is my friends keep getting them and they keep bugging me to help them reload/revive/restore them. They use poor quality hard drives in their rigs then you usually don't get a person advising you that you should have a line conditioner to keep your computer from frying sometime down the future.
Sadly enough, you should look for someone who knows what they are doing at a Best Buy and get a complete solution based upon your needs--just don't get the base model of any manufacturer with the celeron or sempron processor. Get a Pentium or any AMD non-sempron.
If I don't have the time to help a buddy personally, I will tell him to do exactly that and get a Gateway. It will cost you about $300 or more than building it from scratch but you will be taken care of.
If you have access to someone who is certified, have them buy OEM parts from newegg and contruct a rig for cheaper, it will run faster. Pay them $100 for their time and everyone will be happy. Be careful of selecting someone to do this though, there are a lot of wannabes that won't know that you should get a line conditioner on all your nice new speedy parts and in turn won't ground themselves before touching all your nice new internal circuits when putting them together (even some certified ones).