View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 10:28 AM

Default Re: UI AK on Paired Flop

i'd raise to about 16 preflop,11 just seems too little to me...

minraises are usually suspicious,and i think a minraise on the turn often signals a very strong hand,on the flop it is more often someone trying to find out where they stand-i can see something like 88,66,etc doing this,knowing you'll be scared of the Jacks if you don't have one (i'm not saying this is good play,but it happens a lot)

the only problem here is that you don't even have a pair and also that some people would play a Jack this way,in which case you're in trouble...

i do think the jack is unlikely though,so what i might do if i felt like i wanted to assert myself is call the minraise,then
-if the turn is a blank and he bets again,fold
-if its a blank and he checks,bet 3/4 of the pot
-if i hit an A or K and he checks then check and call his bet on the river
-if i hit an A or K on the turn and he bets i don't really know what to do,i suppose it'd depend on how much...

the thing i like about this line is that (on the flop anyway)its probably how i'd play AJ/KJ,and he's got to be worried about that,so i think there's a good chance he gives up once you call on the flop...also,i dont like folding to a minraise,it makes me look very weak,and you are getting good odds,not just to improve,but also just to see a turn which he might well check allowing you to take it away from him...

in reality if i was playing this hand i'd probably just fold to be honest,but looking at it now i think this might be a good line to take,i'll be curious to see what others think though...might be a case of FPS...