View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 06:38 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power
Default The turn check/raise

I've been playing 3/6 short since the beginning of the year. After 130K hands my win rate is not what I think it should be (I started off on a heater and have leveled off over the past 50K hands), so I've begun to look to for leaks.

I feel comfortable with every aspect of my game except the turn check raise. If I check/raise, it means that I've either picked up my second pair or set or I've picked up a strong draw (flush and straight draw, for example) and the board is weak. On rare occasions I'll make a pure bluff, but only when the board and opponnent are prefect.

My trouble is when I get check raised. I'm curious as to what other player's general rules are in this situation.

I find myself looking for every excuse to lable it a bluff or semi-bluff. I look for straight draws, flush draws, I check my opponents check/raise frequency. If my opponent has especially strong stats I'll think they're putting a move on me. If they have maniac stats I'll think they're just being a maniac. If I have TPTK, I'll think they're over playing their own top pair with a lessor kicker.

So I really don't laydown top pair decent kicker to a check/raise and to be honest I'm holding on to second pair a lot and sometimes even holding on to over cards. I'm usually only getting 6:1 on my call. Unless I put in a heavy bluff factor that isn't near enough for me to justify trying to improve my hand

I suspect I have an irrational fear of being bluffed.

What do you think? What thought process do you go through when you are check/raised on the turn?