Old 04-08-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: *** Official St Louis Cardinals to the 2006 World Series Thread **

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Underrated? The guy went almost 2 years without a sacrafice fly, and almost all of his RBI come from homeruns most of which were solo shots. He has no concept of when to move a runner over, go the other way, just hit a flyball, etc. and he strikes out in key situations all the time. I used to live in Reds country, and most the Reds fans I knew even hated this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly why Dunn is underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that meant to say that I am wrong in my assessment of Mr. Dunn? Care to expand?

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunn had a .387 OBP last year and hit 40 home runs. The year before, he had a .388 OBP and hit 46 home runs. The man can rake. It's that simple. All of the small ball skills you mention *might* add up to a win over the course of the season, but he's winning many games for the Reds with his stick.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too bad because I did have respect for your posts, but this is just ridiculous. To say that hitting sac. flys and not striking out in key situations "might add up to a win over the course of a season" is crazy. And yeah, Dunn walks a lot, hence the high OBP, but over the past two years he's also averaged around .250 with 180+ K's per season. There is a lot more to baseball than being able to hit homers in the most homer friendly park in the league.

B.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really need to quit taking Tim McCarver so seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Average and K's mean very little. Read moneyball or something.