View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 06:33 AM

Default How to Maximize profits from a set?

This is a clash between me and another player, both of us are by far the large stacks. We have about $2000 apiece. This is at a 2/4 table, and the opponent here is a solid, good player, TAG. This is on Titan poker, btw.

Hero has pocket 4s. There's a standard raise of $16 preflop, 3 callers including hero. Flop comes 4,2,2 rainbow. There's now $64 in the pot. First player bets $50, hero calls, fold, call. Turn comes a 7. Player bets $100, hero calls, next player folds. River comes an 8. The opponent checks. Hero thinks, then bets $255, the opponent instantly calls with pocket kings.

Some would say I successfully won a huge pot here, but I can't help but think I could've got more money out of him since he called my huge bet so quickly on the river. This player is normally very smart, and he saw me go all-in in a previous hand with top set, so I didn't want to go all in here and scare him off. Also, I've played with him a lot and he knows that usually I raise on the flop when I have a set, so this might've thrown him off when I smooth called. Should I have bet more on the turn or river? Does anyone have any suggestions for how to make the most money off a set?

Thanks in advance,
Cent