Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Frustrating... should I go back? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=88825)

chigori 04-16-2006 02:24 PM

Frustrating... should I go back?

Ever since I moved a level up (to 0.10/0.20), I've been on a downwards trend... Here are some of my stats... First graph is .10/.20, second one is .05/.10

http://chigori.smugmug.com/photos/64719456-L.jpg

Not enough hands played to get a good reading but the 0.10/0.20 playing is getting frustrating...

lucksack 04-16-2006 02:31 PM

Re: Frustrating... should I go back?

I don't think you should do decisions about moving up or down based on just a few thousand hands. That said, I doubt the level of play is very different in the microlimits below .5/1. Haven't ever really played those nanolimits though, so could be wrong.

Eeegah 04-16-2006 02:40 PM

Either you're having rotten luck or you're calling down too much; the difference in W$SD between your two limits is pretty remarkable.

e: Even 51% is a tad lower than what I have; I'm starting to lean towards the latter. Also, you could probably stand to tighten up a bit for now until you get a few more 10k hands of experience.

Buzz-cp 04-16-2006 02:45 PM

to OP (not Eeegah, quick reply), I can't imagine there's a huge difference in skill between players at these levels. also tiny sample.

chigori 04-16-2006 02:50 PM

You might be right on that one... when I moved up was around the same time I started multi-tabling (only 2-4 tables)... and I felt like I was chasing more draws down to the river... stuff I wouldn't do as much before.

But could something like that make such (+270BB vs -140BB) a differency?

Eeegah 04-16-2006 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
to OP (not Eeegah, quick reply), I can't imagine there's a huge difference in skill between players at these levels. also tiny sample.

[/ QUOTE ]

.10/.20 didn't open on Stars until I was way past it, but I played about a thousand hands there for 15BB challenges and was rather surprised. They seemed far more aggro than other nanos up to even 1/2. Don't know if it's still true, but something seemed weird about that limit.

Didelo 04-16-2006 02:54 PM

I would put off multi-tabling until you feel confident that you can make the majority of decisions without really thinking - and get them right. I agree with the other posters - I can hardly imagine there's much of a difference between 5-10 and 10-20, so it's probably something in your playing style.

Blowup Doll 04-16-2006 04:25 PM

Why are your PF raises down? ARe you tightening up for some reason? This might be affecting the rest of a hand that you might win if you raise instead of call.

detruncate 04-16-2006 05:35 PM

Going to showdown 38-39% of the time with a VPIP of 22 is likely only correct if you're often HU post flop, and your very passive pf play + relatively high VPIP would suggest the opposite.

I'd guess that you most likely ran hot for your 4,500 hands of .05/.1 and you're carrying over a lot of bad habits. You may be running bad now in addition to playing sub-optimally, but I'd assume the faults were with you and concentrate on cleaning up your game. Do your best to ignore your results. Besides being almost entirely meaningless, paying attention to them leads to counter-productive results-based thinking. Consider any chips you lose tuition costs. Assuming you can afford to keep playing, the only important thing is that your understanding of the game is progressing.

If your frustration is going to hamper your development at your new limit and/or is making it just plain not fun anymore, move down for a while. Likewise if your confidence is shot. Otherwise just dig in and work hard on your game.

Re-evaluating your pf strategy would be a good starting point. It's very unlikely that 22/6 is they way to go. At the very least, you need to work toward finding some more aggression. If it's proper to see that many flops you should be finding many more raises. Tightening up for a while might be a good idea as well.

Best of luck and happy pokering.

Gregatron 04-16-2006 05:46 PM

Good eye. Your preflop raise is noticably lower. Are you cold calling and not reraising or folding to preflop raises? I think that more optimal stats would have a lower vpip combined with a higher preflop raise at .1/.2. 22 vpip is probably okay, but not with a preflop raise around six. You might want to limp less, raise more, and possibly fold more also. Many time preflop decisions rank: raise>fold>call or: fold>raise>call. Remember, calling is NOT a compromise to raising and folding -- when you can't decide whether to raise or fold calling is almost always the worst option.

Your wonSD is so low I'm thinking you have hit a run of bad cards. But don't chalk it all up to that. It's likely that bad luck has been compunded by making lots of mistakes. However, your sample is pretty low to say for sure.