Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Playing tighter online than Live (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=78880)

NeedCards1 04-04-2006 11:24 AM

Playing tighter online than Live

I have been playing Hold'em now for 4 years. I have been quite successful as well, however I have endured my worst run of cards in those 4 years over the past 2 1/2 months. W/o getting too far into detail, the losing came from a direct result of mixing a lot of shorthanded (6 max tables) into my play. When I returned to full tables, I brought too much of that loose/aggressive style to the table.

I am here to tell all that in my humble opinion you need an extremely tight/aggressive game to succeed on the internet. An even more tight approach to the game than some poker books would suggest (these are for levels 1/2 to 3/6).

I would like to get your opinion on that philosphy--very tight game, like folding AJo/KQo/88 and down off the majority of the time in the 1st 2 seats (full ring).

I have found this to be the most successful way to produce money on online play, with little variance.

KK Rush 04-04-2006 12:19 PM

Re: Playing tighter online than Live

There is some validity to what you are saying. Players online are generally looser than those in a B&M..at least with my experience.

You also mentioned that you brought your looseness from a shorthanded game to the full ring game. I suggest that you plug this leak as well.

NeedCards1 04-04-2006 12:23 PM

You're absolutely right, KK Rush. My shorthanded experience has set me back about 6 months as far as my BR goes.

Another point about tightness, the so-called plays that you generally make for deception purposes are for the most part worthless online. Like the raise from middle position w/ hands such as 9Ts or even TJs for that matter. They only serve their purpose if you have been at a table for a long period of time w/ the same players for the most part.

bernie 04-04-2006 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Players online are generally looser than those in a B&M..at least with my experience

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in my experience.

b

NeedCards1 04-04-2006 02:33 PM

Not in my experience either. They both are generally loose.

OrangeKing 04-04-2006 02:45 PM

Players live - at the same limits - are way, way looser than online. If you're ever at a live 2/4 table where only 4-5 people are seeing the flop, that would probably be considered tight. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Not to mention that if people are playing looser, you should too (though not to the extent they are). They're making it a lot more profitable for you to play some more marginal hands.

NeedCards1 04-04-2006 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Players live - at the same limits - are way, way looser than online. If you're ever at a live 2/4 table where only 4-5 people are seeing the flop, that would probably be considered tight. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Not to mention that if people are playing looser, you should too (though not to the extent they are). They're making it a lot more profitable for you to play some more marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is a mistake in online play. Especially playing suited connectors 89s and below. Pocket pairs, TJs and up yes, if the game is that loose/passive. However, I believe you need to be at the table for at least several rounds before you adjust to this style and have accurately identified the table.