Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Ask a lurker about being paralyzed (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=70251)

samsonh 03-25-2006 03:48 AM

Ask a lurker about being paralyzed

Any questions, its very different than what I imagined it would be.

diebitter 03-25-2006 03:50 AM

Re: Ask a lurker about being paralyzed

Where are you paralysed, and how did it happen?

witeknite 03-25-2006 03:50 AM

How much, how long? How's it different?

WiteKnite

samsonh 03-25-2006 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where are you paralysed, and how did it happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

Paralyzed around T4-T6. This is around the sternum. I woke up and couldn't walk. Diagnosed with transverse myelitis.

Adam22 03-25-2006 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

have you had sex since? does your penis operate normally? how do you handle going to the bathroom?

a lot of people might think that life wouldn't be worth living if that happened ( particularly people who are very active ). is that true? have you ever felt like giving up? my boss at my last job, a great guy, became paralyzed from the waist down while i was working for him and i always wanted to ask these things but i figured it wouldn't be appropriate.

-Skeme- 03-25-2006 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Paralyzed around T4-T6. This is around the sternum. I woke up and couldn't walk. Diagnosed with transverse myelitis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. [censored] deal.

samsonh 03-25-2006 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

Paralyzed a little over 6 months. I imagined being paralyzed would be painful but it doesnt really hurt at all. You just kinda feel a little numb even though I can tell if something is touching me. You just can't feel any pain at all.

-Skeme- 03-25-2006 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You just can't feel any pain at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet dude, you're like T2 but with wheels!

Wes Mantooth 03-25-2006 04:04 AM

Did you have any problems before you woke up that day and found out that you could not walk? Did you have any other problems leading up to this? How old are you? If you don't want answer any of these questions its ok. Thanks

samsonh 03-25-2006 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

WiteKnite

[/ QUOTE ]

have you had sex since? does your penis operate normally? how do you handle going to the bathroom?

a lot of people might think that life wouldn't be worth living if that happened ( particularly people who are very active ). is that true? have you ever felt like giving up? my boss at my last job, a great guy, became paralyzed from the waist down while i was working for him and i always wanted to ask these things but i figured it wouldn't be appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have not had sex since. Actually broe up with long term girlfriend shortly before becoming paralyzed. Penis does not operate normally. Spontaneous erections happen but not in the same manner. I cannot think of sex and get an erection. I can create an erection but definitely no ejaculation. Going to the bathroom is done using a catheter, I have to do this 5-6 times daily to avoid problems. Going numero dos requires more work. I use a bowel program whereby I insert a suppository every other night. Then I "hop" on the toilet and it comes out.

As to the second part, depression is extremely common in SCIs. They tried to put me on anti depressants as a precaution, I refused them. Life is certainly very different, but I don't feel different emotionally. I am still the same guy in my mind. People definitely treat you differently subconsiously, which is to be expected. I have trouble looking at people in therapy who have worse injuries then me, I feel bad for them even though I have a similar disability. I was extremely active before, not so much now at all. I am actually looking forward to starting to do more things and becoming more active by going back to school, meeting new people, etc.