Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   1/2 JJ hand v. unknown (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=66052)

Durs522 03-20-2006 04:04 PM

1/2 JJ hand v. unknown

Its been awhile since I've played shorthanded limit. This hand came up after only a few hands at the table. I have no reads on villan. This is the first hand I've really been involved in so he doesn't have any reads on me.
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG calls.

What are we putting our opponent on here? What is our plan if an overcard or the flush falls?

Durs

Edited to fix converter.

Spy Dog 03-20-2006 04:19 PM

Re: 1/2 JJ hand v. unknown

I usually call down an unknown after he 3-bets the flop. If he's jamming a draw then he'll probably jam the turn and river if he misses, so I don't really gain anything by capping the flop (I'd actually gain by not capping). If he's 3-betting a strong hand then I'm better off calling down because I'll lose less. If he's 3-betting A8/A7 or something like that then I'll know that I can play back at him in the future when I hold an overpair or TPTK.

PacMann 03-20-2006 04:23 PM

any number of [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] connectors (A8 of spades comes to mind), 87, 88, 77, 22, maybe 99 if he doesn't raise much preflop.

Our plan when:
no spade on the turn or river:
call down and bet if checked to

spade on the turn:
call for your J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and make a crying call on the river UI probably.

A or K on the turn or river:
I would still get to a showdown

This advice is better if he's a lag and capable of putting in many bets with just a FD.

Durs522 03-20-2006 04:40 PM

Turn: (7.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ???.

What a bad card. If our opponent has Ax of spades we're beat. Seems like we're not too likely to be ahead here unless he's really pumping a non-nut flush draw. What are our options now?

PacMann 03-20-2006 05:54 PM

Ok I didn't think enough about the ace turn in my original post.
I now think we should fold the turn. That ace is both the nut flush draw and A8

counterspell 03-20-2006 06:15 PM

Unknown has a pretty wide range here. It easily be a draw or a pair (or two). I think the best plan is to make sure one bet goes in on both the turn and river regardless of what falls.

DCWildcat 03-20-2006 06:15 PM

I'd be most inclined to call the 3-bet and call down when the A smacks.

shadow. 03-20-2006 06:35 PM

Nice flop cap.

This guy could be on an 8, something like TT, or a draw. I cap for value, and to set up my turn play. I think putting in many bets on the flop allows for easier hand reading on the turn.

Call down after the turn donk.

Xellos 03-20-2006 07:02 PM

At 1/2 I think you are up against a set a vast majority of the time, and up against the A high flush draw a lot the rest of the time. If I capped the flop and he leads the A turn I think I'm folding, but I'd probably just try to calldown after his flop 3 bet.

Durs522 03-20-2006 08:14 PM

River: (9.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has 4c 4s (two pair, eights and fours).
Hero has Js Jc (two pair, jacks and eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.25 BB. </font>