Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   WWE Matches Question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=63008)

jester710 03-16-2006 05:20 PM

WWE Matches Question

Obviously the outcomes of the matches are pre-determined, but does anyone know how much of the actual match is choreographed and how much is improvised?

There are some matches that have some incredibly intricate moves, and I imagine those moves had to be planned in advance, but it doesn't seem like there would be enough time for a match to be completely mapped out and memorized in a week or less. Also, you can see the wrestlers communicate with each other in the ring, so I know there's a little bit of improv going on there. Do they just pre-plan the high points and the outcome and make up the rest, o que?

I don't know why, but this question has been bothering me for a long time.

Synur 03-16-2006 05:23 PM

Re: WWE Matches Question

Of course the outcome of a wrestling match is pre-determined, and usually there's key points in the match which are laid out ahead of time. Everything else is pretty much improv. Although there are some matches in which every aspect has bee predetermined, that's pretty rare. There's also matches in which everything is improv except the winner. Mic Foley's famous fall off the top of the Hell in a Cell was improv as was his falling through the cell.

amplify 03-16-2006 05:25 PM

This differs widely among wrestlers. Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage are both known for wanting to get in the ring for hours before a match planning out exactly what will happen. They are generally looked down on for this.

Usually the match planning will go something like this: Ok, about 3 minutes in we'll to outside the ring and do the spot on the steps. That's when you blade. (They cut themselves on the forhead with a small piece of razor blade to get the blood flowing) then about 10 minutes in we'll do this planned sequence with the chair. 15 minutes in you get me in your finisher and I reverse it into my finisher for the win.

The rest of it they just make up as they go along. The less refined will call out moves out loud, but the real technically sound guys like Ric Flair or Chris Beniot just sort of know what to do and how to react to each other. I could go on about this stuff for hours so I'll just stop there.

deadbody 03-16-2006 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course the outcome of a wrestling match is pre-determined, and usually there's key points in the match which are laid out ahead of time. Everything else is pretty much improv. Although there are some matches in which every aspect has bee predetermined, that's pretty rare. There's also matches in which everything is improv except the winner. Mic Foley's famous fall off the top of the Hell in a Cell was improv as was his falling through the cell.

[/ QUOTE ]

100% wrong on the Foley part. BOth of those spots were planned ahead of time, he has said that the dive off the cage was planned (read is autobiography) and the 2nd one watch the match again, he and taker never went near that square of the cage until he got slammed through it, he just couldn't tell his wife that both were planned as she had a [censored] fit when she saw the match.

To answer the OP question, it depends. Some matches are very intractely planned as the wrestlers involved are unable to work on the fly, others are very off the cuff. It depends a lot on the wrestlers involved.

amplify 03-16-2006 05:28 PM

deadbody is correct on the Foley stuff. No way would Undertaker just throw Foley off the cage as an improvised bit. It nearly killed him as it was.

Soul Daddy 03-16-2006 05:28 PM

Yeah, the only improv there was on the chair's part.

Black Aces 518 03-16-2006 05:37 PM

well, and the cell top was supposed to give way gradually on the chokeslam not just fly open. Foley said in his book that UT was sure he had killed Foley.

gusmahler 03-16-2006 06:06 PM

DDP is also famous for scripting his matches in advance, as opposed to just the high spots.

The Ultimate Warrior/Hulk Hogan match from WM 6 was not only scripted, but was rehearsed before hand, which is possibly why two known slugs in the ring actually had a decent match.

smk67 03-16-2006 06:21 PM

That UT - Mic Fooley match was sweet, I saw it in person too! I totally thought MF was dead. When he was beeing carted off, the entire arena (Igloo in Pittsburg) was in total silence, jaws dropped. I have seen replays, wow is all you can say...

Russ M. 03-16-2006 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That UT - Mic Fooley match was sweet, I saw it in person too! I totally thought MF was dead. When he was beeing carted off, the entire arena (Igloo in Pittsburg) was in total silence, jaws dropped. I have seen replays, wow is all you can say...

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish WWE On Demand would hurry the F up and put this match on the server. I haven't seen it in a LONG time.