Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   wynn 30 60 vs old dude on fire... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=60171)

ShortySaurus 03-13-2006 03:24 PM

wynn 30 60 vs old dude on fire...

We're 7 handed at the wynn. I was running hot earlier and build my stack up from 1500 to 3500 but now im almost back to my original buy in. The whole table knows I just can't win a pot lately. Anyways, Villain is a regular in his 60s. He has been raising preflop with any two in position but playing postflop relatively passively and straightforward. He has been winning a lot of pots and is running hot. Furthermore, sometimes he looks at his cards in a way that i can see his two hole cards. This is a previous hand.

Folded to sb who completes, old guy lifts up his cards and has two queens and raises, sb calls. Flop is 5 3 3 sb checks, old guy bets, sb calls. Turn is a 9 and sb checkraises old guy, and old guy calls. River is a deuce or something insignificant and sb bets, bb calls and sb shows A3o.

Anyways so this is our hand. I am BB with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], he is button. Folded to him and he raises, sb folds, and I call.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I checkraise, he three bets, I call.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I checkraise him again, he three bets, Hero??

Is this an easy 4 bet? What if I get 5 betted? Is calling down a bad play? On the flop I put him on an overpair or maybe A9 or K9, but on the turn, I rule out A9, or K9, and am certain he wouldn't 3 bet my checkraise with an overpair. For sure hes not bluffing and has a really good hand.

Digs 03-13-2006 03:32 PM

Re: wynn 30 60 vs old dude on fire...

If he's playing passively and won't 3bet with an overpair this looks like a call to me.

The only hand I can think of that you beat is 34, and I'm discounting it a bit but not totally.

Fianchetto 03-13-2006 03:35 PM

with your read it's a call down.

Well_TiMeD 03-13-2006 08:17 PM

This is actually really hard for me not to 4 bet, but I think it may be a mistake. Is there ANY WAY hes on semi-tilt, or is just auto 3 betting AA/KK here? those are the only two hands I can reasonably see you beating, but sometimes villains like this (i read him as sort of passive, but certainly a decent player?) will overplay a big overpair in this spot accidently. But its really difficult to distinguish and he could easily just have QQ, 99, or lower set. The thing is, if your beat, unless he lpays bottom set real soft, you will always get 5 bet and can lay down. This is a position I really don't like though with top two; what do others think of this alternative?

note: I think callin down is almiost always correct but wondering how 4 betting folding to turn looks to others.

RunningSixes 03-13-2006 09:31 PM

Can you see his two hole cards? If so, what are they?

gobboboy 03-13-2006 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you see his two hole cards? If so, what are they?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key.

I think I call here and check/call the river unless your hand improves. You might see something like AA here or you might see a set.

Clarkmeister 03-14-2006 03:15 AM

I assume it's AJ, and you should just call down from here.

ShortySaurus 03-14-2006 03:42 PM

no this time i cant see his cards

augie_ 03-14-2006 04:55 PM

Given the read you gave it's a calldown. But come on, man. He can't have AA here? Pump it up!!!

PokerBob 03-14-2006 05:08 PM

i played a similar hand against a similar opponent on my last trip to the bellagio. i think the proper line here is to 4bet the turn and fold to a 5th bet. if the board pairs on the river, open-fold.