Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   100 NL top set river play against reg (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=547852)

ship_it_trebek 11-16-2007 05:52 PM

100 NL top set river play against reg

Villain is tulegit21 and one of the more solid winners on ftp NL100. If i check the turn he's betting ATC there IMO and c/r turn basically lets him know i have a huge hand, which is why leading the turn is better. I doubt he's on clubs here and I might have seen a raise on the flop with a club draw. I guess the main question is whether I can induce a bet here on the river. I don't see many hands in his range that will check behind here BUT will also call a river bet. I basically have a PSB going into the river and he covers

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

SB: $80.90
BB: $37
UTG: $97.90
Hero (UTG+1): $103.50
UTG+2: $115.30
MP1: $145.60
MP2: $12.45
CO: $56.90
BTN: $106.85

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls $4, 5 folds

Flop: ($9.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $8</font>, MP1 calls $8

Turn: ($25.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $20</font>, MP1 calls $20

River: ($65.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero wonders if theres value in checking

AllTheCheese 11-16-2007 07:27 PM

Re: 100 NL top set river play against reg

There isn't. I wouldn't bet too big though.

Split Suit 11-16-2007 07:40 PM

i think i always take stack-a-donk against tulegit in this spot

but now that we are here...i think i hate this spot. i think i push more often than not tho.

Chargers In 07 11-16-2007 07:45 PM

I'm with SS here, I'd always go for the stack a donk against any aggro opponent that's capable of floating.

olliejen 11-16-2007 07:52 PM

I like check-calling the river. If you bet and he raises you all-in, you're almost never winning but you can't fold either given the size of the pot and your stack.

If you push all-in yourself, what can call you except maybe an underset or a flush? maybe 2 pr?

Checking:

Gives him a chance to bluff busted draws (which wouldn't call a bet on the river)

Also gives him a chance to maybe value-bet a mid-pair type hand after what might be you 2-barrelling with maybe air (which he could possibly fold to a river bet)

Also, by suddenly checking after firing twice if he happens to have a flush, he has to size his bet so that he might get looked up by something that gave up on the river, but just wants to see. So in that scenario you lose the minimum.