Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   NL100: How do I get more value? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=546256)

funneldave 11-14-2007 06:17 PM

NL100: How do I get more value?

No reads on villain, I was at 15/12 over 150 or so. I dont think I get enough value in situations like this, should I be calling the turn to raise the river?

Party Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LeggoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (BTN): $179.04
SB: $24.73
BB: $48.01
UTG: $48.88
UTG+1: $120.63
MP: $97
CO: $17.50

Pre-Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BTN)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $3</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $3, SB folds, BB calls $2

Flop: ($9.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $3</font>, Hero calls $3, BB folds

Turn: ($15.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">UTG bets $3</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $10</font>, UTG folds

Results: $21.50 Pot
Hero mucked 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and WON $27.43 (+$18.43 NET)

forestwithin 11-14-2007 06:29 PM

Re: NL100: How do I get more value?

He doesn't have a medium or high pair so you won't get any value no matter which way you play the hand. He has half a stack but you still have to raise at some point, and the turn is a decent choice. Play the hand like he has a good hand and if he doesn't, too bad.

There isn't a whole lot you can do.

RapidEvolution 11-14-2007 06:36 PM

I like to alternate between raising flop and raising turn. With his stack, though, I lean towards raising the flop. Calling the flop and raising the turn is a stronger line, IMO and if he calls flop raise, it'll be much tougher for him to get away from the pot.

CalledDownLight 11-14-2007 06:38 PM

raise the flop

Brimstead 11-14-2007 06:40 PM

unlucky, he had nothing, its obvious by the turn bet.
only thing u could have done would be to call turn and hope he'll bluff river... but that gives u such little value that you are best raising and hoping he has something to play with.

The Eureka Kid 11-14-2007 06:51 PM

I don't think you could have done much different.

sapol 11-14-2007 06:56 PM

if you had raised the flop he would've folded there putting you on a 9 so you played fine

RyanCMU 11-14-2007 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you had raised the flop he would've folded there putting you on a 9 so you played fine

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, I think that by raising the flop here to an obersvant opponent our hand looks less like a 9. The board is relativly dry, so our flop call and then turn raise, looks much more like a 9, then a flop raise in this siatuation. Since we are not very likely to be raising a 9 on such a dry board, and they probably expect us to slowplay, so I think we get a lot of calls on the flop w/ a raise.

A flop raise makes our hand range look like 78, Ahi (total bluff), and some random pocketpairs. And, a think a flop raise is getting called by a very similar range to the what the opponent is likley going to be putting us on.

Plus, in a situation where we do not know much about our oppoentns hand range, it would really suck for a K Q or A to fall on the turn and potentially kill our action from weaker pocketpairs.

Get some money in now, where he is more likley to make bad calls.