Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   300/600NL: Something That Always Amazes Me (LC) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540870)

QTip 11-07-2007 10:25 PM

300/600NL: Something That Always Amazes Me (LC)

Obviously not a hand I played [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This was on high stakes poker the other night when it was the first game that the buy in was $500k. Some of the details might be a bit off, but the concept remains. This part of the game just amazes me.

David Benyamine open limped from like +2 with 55. Guy Laliberte raised in CO with JJ. Sammy called in the BB with two small clubs and David called as well.

The flop came JTs3 giving Sammy a FF.

Sammy and David checked to Guy. Guy bet pretty large. Sammy called and David folded.

The turn came a blank 5.

Something happened.

The river came a flush 5.

Sammy ended up betting like $200k and folding to a raise.

Guy rakes a huge pot. Had one thing changed as simple as getting fancy with a flop check, he could have lost $500k instead of winning $250k. A difference of 3/4 million for one decision. Sometimes luck is so hidden in this game.

twoblacknines 11-07-2007 10:38 PM

Re: 300/600NL: Something That Always Amazes Me (LC)

I always think about this when I try something fancy or non-standard and end up losing my stack when if I just played the hand "normal" I would have won. However, I'm sure there are times when making one decision differently than you normally do also benefit you. But yea nice point about the hidden luck.

Also, I think it is funny that Benyamine apparently thinks its ok to sometimes open limp a pocket pair, something that would normally draw criticism here.

GiantBuddha 11-07-2007 10:52 PM

That reminds me of a hand I had in a live $1/2 game. Couple limpers, I limp 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], flop comes 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], UTG bets the pot, I flat call. Turn comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], UTG bets the pot, I flat call. River is a 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], UTG shoves, I snap call while flipping my cards up.

UTG shakes his head in disbelief and says, "no, it gets worse," and tables 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Usually I'd find a raise in there somewhere, but for some reason I kept flat calling and UTG stumbled into a big losing hand. Luck certainly takes many forms.

TheProdigy 11-07-2007 10:54 PM

lol I have lost atleast 4 or 5 times when a person with top set checks it through on flop and I hit my set on turn.

It is so [censored] frustrating.

AllTheCheese 11-07-2007 11:00 PM

That game is almost pure juice. I wish someone would stake me. I love how a lot of people think they're using Level 90 thought, when really most of them don't have a clue, even about basic odds.

boston 11-07-2007 11:03 PM

i havnt read the book lately but i think dan harrington talks about hidden luck in H.O.H. and how it played a factor in his deep finish in the WSOP the year moneymaker took it home.

TheProdigy 11-07-2007 11:06 PM

I would love to play some high stakes FR. I mean once I get up to 5/10+ at FR you know how much better you have to be than those guys in a lot of situations?

I mean Leatherass9 would probably be a huge favorite in that game, IMO. They are so unpolished and have been playing mostly HU and if not 3 or 4 handed at the most for so long. I bet they haven't thought or played FR seriously for sooooo long.

bottomset 11-07-2007 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would love to play some high stakes FR. I mean once I get up to 5/10+ at FR you know how much better you have to be than those guys in a lot of situations?

I mean Leatherass9 would probably be a huge favorite in that game, IMO. They are so unpolished and have been playing mostly HU and if not 3 or 4 handed at the most for so long. I bet they haven't thought or played FR seriously for sooooo long.

[/ QUOTE ]

um HSP deliberately leaves off the best NLHE players, err well most of the best ones

vizer02 11-07-2007 11:16 PM

The flush actually hit on the turn, so if Guy checked on the flop the hand really would've been crazy b/c on the turn Benyamine would've hit his set and Sammy would've hit his flush. Benyamine would've led, Sammy would've raised, and who knows what Guy would've done.

AllTheCheese 11-07-2007 11:40 PM

Slight thread hijack. Did anyone fall out of their chairs on the Brunson/Gold hand flush vs flush hand? I cannot f.cking believe what an imbecile Jamie Gold is. I think I could play .10/.25 NL with Jamie Gold for a month and win his whole roll.