Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Human Reproduction (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=540470)

Splendour 11-07-2007 12:04 PM

Human Reproduction

Why do people worry about stupid people out reproducing intelligent people? Are we genetically savvy enough to even think about something like this? I was reading on the Amish a little bit lately and they are a very close knit community with little interaction with the outside world. The article mentioned that there are hardly any family names. There are approximately 5 or 6 family names you hear all the time and that as a population they have a higher incidence of dwarfism, but at the same time they seem to be a very dignified, peaceful people.

What if stupid people's reproduction were to be regulated? What is the chance that we could affect something in the gene pool that we know nothing about. What if it turns out after we isolate the purpose of genes that certain genes have symbiotic purposes and we disrupt those purposes tinkering around with what we think we understand. Didn't we just upset natural selection? What if we are able to isolate the "stupid" gene and it turns out its related to another gene that regulates body temperature?

Sephus 11-07-2007 12:15 PM

Re: Human Reproduction

[ QUOTE ]
What if we are able to isolate the "stupid" gene and it turns out its related to another gene that regulates body temperature?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/8...pancakems7.jpg

Subfallen 11-07-2007 12:22 PM

I'm genetically savvy enough to specify a group that composes 0.2% of the world's population yet has won 25% of all Nobel Prizes awarded. And no worries raised by reproductive isolation of this group; there's 3,000 years precedent of good results.

So, um, could we get a few more Jews over here plz? Might be nice. 14M isn't very many to go around when we have like 6B Gentiles mucking everything up.

Splendour 11-07-2007 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm genetically savvy enough to specify a group that composes 0.2% of the world's population yet has won 25% of all Nobel Prizes awarded. And no worries raised by reproductive isolation of this group; there's 3,000 years precedent of good results.

So, um, could we get a few more Jews over here plz? Might be nice. 14M isn't very many to go around when we have like 6B Gentiles mucking everything up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well don't you know the old saying dearest? "Salvation is of the Jews".

How does Tay Sachs fit into all this its a genetic disease predominantly of Ashkenazi Jews?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tay-Sachs_disease

Subfallen 11-07-2007 01:25 PM

Beautiful -

I wasn't aware of the Tay-Sachs susceptibility, so you do have me there. But, thanks to your link(!), I learned:

[ QUOTE ]
Proactive testing has been quite effective in eliminating Tay-Sachs occurrence among Ashkenazi Jews, both in Israel and in the diaspora. On January 18, 2005, the Israeli English language daily Haaretz reported that as a "Jewish disease" Tay-Sachs had almost been eradicated. Of the 10 babies born with Tay-Sachs in North America in 2003, none had been born to Jewish families. In Israel, only one child was born with Tay-Sachs in 2003, and preliminary results from early 2005 indicated that none were born with the disease in 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT SUCCESS!

not a model 11-07-2007 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can we ban this guy for racism? why is it ok to act like jews are superior to everyone else, even if its a joke? if you switch jews with gentiles or jews with whites and gentiles with african americans it would be an instaban. so sick.

at least give him a little ban, for equality's sake.

foal 11-07-2007 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can we ban this guy for racism? why is it ok to act like jews are superior to everyone else, even if its a joke? if you switch jews with gentiles or jews with whites and gentiles with african americans it would be an instaban. so sick.

[/ QUOTE ]
there have been posts about blacks sucking and I don't believe there were "instabans" involved.

Kurn, son of Mogh 11-07-2007 03:16 PM

Eugenics was a flawed pdeudo-science that was all the rage about a 75 years ago.

vhawk01 11-07-2007 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, wait, what? No worries raised by reproductive isolation? Nearly the exact opposite is true. Ashkenazi Jews have absurdly high rates of all sorts of genetic diseases.

vhawk01 11-07-2007 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Beautiful -

I wasn't aware of the Tay-Sachs susceptibility, so you do have me there. But, thanks to your link(!), I learned:

[ QUOTE ]
Proactive testing has been quite effective in eliminating Tay-Sachs occurrence among Ashkenazi Jews, both in Israel and in the diaspora. On January 18, 2005, the Israeli English language daily Haaretz reported that as a "Jewish disease" Tay-Sachs had almost been eradicated. Of the 10 babies born with Tay-Sachs in North America in 2003, none had been born to Jewish families. In Israel, only one child was born with Tay-Sachs in 2003, and preliminary results from early 2005 indicated that none were born with the disease in 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

GREAT SUCCESS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its more than just Tay-Sachs, I think there are a lot of very rare metabolic disorders that are vastly overrepresented among Ashkenazi Jews.