Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Selig considering retroactive drug suspensions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=537220)

MikeyPatriot 11-02-2007 09:03 PM

Selig considering retroactive drug suspensions

link

[ QUOTE ]
Commissioner Bud Selig has not ruled out suspending players who might have violated United States law even if they did not violate baseball's drug policy, a high-ranking major league official said Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't be serious, right? There's no way the union will allow this to happen.

Neuge 11-02-2007 09:10 PM

Re: Selig considering retroactive drug suspensions

[ QUOTE ]
Commissioner Bud Selig has not ruled out suspending players who might have violated United States law even if they did not violate baseball's drug policy, a high-ranking major league official said Wednesday.

[/ QUOTE ]
Depending on how the CBA is written, he may be able to enforce it as some sort of off-field conduct clause. That's just speculation though, I haven't read the CBA.

Tupacia 11-02-2007 09:19 PM

As the CBA presumably allows for suspensions for off-the-field arrests and other criminal behavior, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to apply it to players who have broken U.S. law.

That being said, the union would put up a hell of a legal battle which is why I doubt Selig would go through with it (far more trouble than it's worth).

Smell The Glove 11-02-2007 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As the CBA presumably allows for suspensions for off-the-field arrests and other criminal behavior, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to apply it to players who have broken U.S. law.

That being said, the union would put up a hell of a legal battle which is why I doubt Selig would go through with it (far more trouble than it's worth).

[/ QUOTE ]

wouldn't the players have to be convicted/ indicted in a real criminal court for the MLB to do anything?

craig 11-03-2007 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
link

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he do it? I cannot imagine that will help gain viewers and fans and could potentially turn some away.

craig

RandomUser 11-03-2007 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
link

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would he do it? I cannot imagine that will help gain viewers and fans and could potentially turn some away.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the opposite. People are sick of nothing being done about the whole PED issue and this might bring those back who had enough and gave up on baseball.

mo42nyy 11-03-2007 03:35 AM

hes as gutless and hypocritical as they come
he sat on his ass and did nothing for years and now wants to go back in time
gimme a [censored] break

EvanJC 11-03-2007 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gimme a [censored] break

[/ QUOTE ]

HajiShirazu 11-03-2007 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
gimme a [censored] break

[/ QUOTE ]

prohornblower 11-03-2007 12:38 PM

He ain't gonna do this. lol. He'd have to suspend like half the league. Selig is a spineless turdburgler. His statements hold little water with me. He should consider playing with zippo lighters while laying in a tub of grease.