Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Software (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   laptop suggestions? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535966)

xwowsersx 11-01-2007 06:52 AM

laptop suggestions?

Anyone have any laptop suggestions (preferrably under $1,000) that would be good for playing poker? Needs a big screen (17" at least) for effective multitabling and needs to be fast with a lot of memory.

robii 11-01-2007 09:23 AM

Re: laptop suggestions?

Try the DELL Vostro series. You can order it with a WUXGA display (1900x1200) which is good for up to twelve tables.

sdplayerb 11-09-2007 11:24 AM

i am considering buying this.
are you having issues using vista?

Somnius 11-09-2007 12:53 PM

Honestly, I would highly recommend staying away from Dell. Their computers have a great tendency to fizzle away much too quickly. For example, my inspiron 6000 had the screen burn out in a year and a half. A friend's WXGA+ screen on his laptop is fizzling away now after 2 years. His 20 inch monitor...the same...Also, there's a class action suit against them for owners of the 600 series I believe, for much of the same. You can find great laptops these days for relatively cheap. Futureshop, Bestbuy, TigerDirect etc have pretty good deals. No reason why you can't get a Duocore, 2 gigs of ram, 17 inch for less then a thousand, if you want 1900x1200 resolution it'll set you back a little more. HP, Acer, Toshiba, Sony, IBM are what I would look at pretty much in that order. And if you're looking for optimal performance and efficiency, I'd REALLY recommend staying away from Vista, unless you like unnecessary overendulgent time-wasting "super-cool" features that have no purpose other then to "dazzle", while your comp idols at 400-800 megs of ram. I'd try to find an XP.

Arp220 11-09-2007 02:21 PM

17 inch plus fast requires spending at least 1500

If you absolutely must have a 17 inch screen, I suggest www.pctorque.com, or http://www.eurocom.com/ or any of the places that resell OEM notebooks. They have lots of options.

Just make sure you get a core 2 duo and at least 2Gb of memory [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

vaughn345 11-09-2007 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly, I would highly recommend staying away from Dell. Their computers have a great tendency to fizzle away much too quickly. For example, my inspiron 6000 had the screen burn out in a year and a half. A friend's WXGA+ screen on his laptop is fizzling away now after 2 years. His 20 inch monitor...the same...Also, there's a class action suit against them for owners of the 600 series I believe, for much of the same. You can find great laptops these days for relatively cheap. Futureshop, Bestbuy, TigerDirect etc have pretty good deals. No reason why you can't get a Duocore, 2 gigs of ram, 17 inch for less then a thousand, if you want 1900x1200 resolution it'll set you back a little more. HP, Acer, Toshiba, Sony, IBM are what I would look at pretty much in that order. And if you're looking for optimal performance and efficiency, I'd REALLY recommend staying away from Vista, unless you like unnecessary overendulgent time-wasting "super-cool" features that have no purpose other then to "dazzle", while your comp idols at 400-800 megs of ram. I'd try to find an XP.

[/ QUOTE ]

bought an inspiron 8000 6 years ago, screen has blown out 3 times total.

sdplayerb 11-11-2007 08:09 PM

thanks for the help.
I am a sucker and did go with a dell.
i found a $500 coupon online plus they give a $200 gift card, so i am basically playing $900 for a 17 inch with 1900x1200 and upgrades at basically every level.
if it sucks, i will return it though.
i may nuke the vista and switch to xp. i'll figure that out in the first week.

thanks again

SD

Albert Silver 11-12-2007 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

17 inch plus fast requires spending at least 1500

[/ QUOTE ]

That is *really* inaccurate. Even without special deals found at the specialized discount sites, one can easily find 17-inchers for less than $1000. As pointed out, you can try sites such as
TigerDirect or you can go to a discount/coupon site like FatWallet and find special discount codes to be used. BTW, be sure to have pop-ups enabled for this site as it will send you to the site, and give the code in the pop-up. There is one now (I just checked out of curiosity) for a Dell laptop giving a $500 discount on any machine over $1399. I configured a machine, entered the code in the checkout, and sure enough the price dropped $500. There are plenty of deals, so just look around.