Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Book on reading/studying techniques needed (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535241)

muse1983 10-31-2007 09:35 AM

Book on reading/studying techniques needed

Hi all,

I´m looking for a good book on improving studying/reading techniques. If possible, it should be short and easy to read. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you all

Golden_Rhino 10-31-2007 11:53 AM

Re: Book on reading/studying techniques needed

level?

muse1983 10-31-2007 11:56 AM

You mean my class level or...? Doesn´t really matter, it doesn´t need to be some groundbreaking work on the subject, just maybe something you´ve used in the past and can recommend...It should help me improve my reading, ie filtering impotant information/upping speed and have tips on useful learning techniques (memorizing is important as I major in history and minor in english - I have to read a ton).

Ganjasaurus Rex 10-31-2007 12:43 PM

I don't know any books that fill your description, but i know this:

1) Read assignments *before* class. Outline the chapters after you've read them to help with comprehension and recall. Memorize the key words at the end of each chapter if there are any.

2) Go to all your classes. Take good notes.

3) Read and memorize your notes after each class (same or next day). Continue to review your notes throughout the semester.

4) Re-read the chapters the week before the exam. You shouldn't have to memorize your notes then, because you've already done this (see #3).

5) Ace your exams.

Golden_Rhino 10-31-2007 01:03 PM

I have the same major/minor as you do. Don't worry about memorizing; focus on understanding and coming up with your own theories. As far as reading faster, well, that just comes with practice.

DougieG 10-31-2007 04:20 PM

I'm also a history major, in my third year. Thus far I've yet to really need to memorize anything specific from reading. It's all trends and causes for trends etc. This, IMO, is just reading comprehension and that, like Golden_Rhino said, just needs practice.

Ganjasaurus Rex 10-31-2007 05:12 PM

You guys are lucky. I minored in History/Humanities and had to memorize all kinds of irrelevant crap. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

metamath 10-31-2007 06:25 PM

step 1: never go to class
step 2: adderall

(step 3: don't surf 2+2)

DougieG 10-31-2007 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are lucky. I minored in History/Humanities and had to memorize all kinds of irrelevant crap. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like everybody that doesn't like history had to. I guess I had good teachers? It could also be that I don't have to memorize much cuz I have read so much to this point that the trends remind me of the small details. In any event the trends and the reasons for those trends are by far the absolute most important thing for most professors. You could also ask your professors what the most important facts are to grasp, most of them are longing for students to come in during their office hours in my experience.