Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   All-in decisions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=535187)

waveydavey 10-31-2007 06:37 AM

All-in decisions

I play mostly $5 and $10 STT at a particularly loose site. I avoid going on tilt by simply analysing my play and deciding if I made the correct decision or not, and if I get beaten I never think of it as a bad beat, but an opportunity if I come across that player again. It helps me to keep a positive attitude.

However, I've lost a few all-in decisions lately and so I think I need to analyse my play. What comments can you guys make on this particular hand.

6 of 10 remaining
Blinds 25/50 (NLHE)
UTG raises to 100 with a stack of about 3000
CO calls with a stack of about 4000
I'm on the button with KK and raise to 500 with a stack of about 3000
Blinds, UTG fold, CO calls.

Flop is 4, 8, J with two suited.
CO goes all-in.

I think about it for a while and weigh a set vs. AJ vs. an over exuberant flush draw play, but decide to call all-in anyway. (Remember it's a site full of loose players, at least at the level I play.)

He shows Q8 off suit, and gets his Q on the turn, so out I go in 6th spot.

So my question is this, (after telling myself time and time again never to call all-in), when you're the short stack, but still with plenty of chips, should you call all-in even with a really good hand that you're pretty sure is the best, when there's a chance you could be beaten? I put my whole tournament on the line with the better hand, but lost. Should I have risked it?

2hi4me2cu 10-31-2007 06:43 AM

Re: All-in decisions

in the hand above, you made a good call, oh raise more pf to weed out the fish a bit more.

P.s - Are you playing on William hill, if you are. Dont.

waveydavey 10-31-2007 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in the hand above, you made a good call, oh raise more pf to weed out the fish a bit more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just replied on your thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

jcl 10-31-2007 07:30 AM

stop pretending like u dont know the right answer we all know this is a bad beat post (my pet peeve!). if u routinely consider folding KK on 48J 2flushed HU flops in a sng then u should quit poker

2hi4me2cu 10-31-2007 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Just replied on your thread. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

meh, thanks ;p

Also just wondering if OP was playing a $1 + 0.20 sit'n'donk tournament

KennyMac 10-31-2007 08:14 AM

yah he didnt really specify if he was playing a $1 tourney or playing a $5 or $10 like he said he mostly plays.

JH1 10-31-2007 09:31 AM

I think I've seen Pokey figure something like this out before in the following way:

3 combos each of 44, 88, and JJ, 6 combos for AA for a total of 15 that beat you. 14 combos (not exactly sure if this is 14 or 16) each of AJ, KJ, and QJ for a total of 42 combos that you beat. You are way ahead of everything else that would call preflop and play this way. So this is a clear call. I don't know if I could do this during the hand, Pokey's a math wiz.

Edit: I think you could even discount a set a little as I'm not sure they would be this aggressive with it even on a 2 flush board. I think you would be more likely to see a c/r all in if they had a set.

evagaba 10-31-2007 03:28 PM

Fold Preflop

waveydavey 10-31-2007 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stop pretending like u dont know the right answer we all know this is a bad beat post (my pet peeve!). if u routinely consider folding KK on 48J 2flushed HU flops in a sng then u should quit poker

[/ QUOTE ]
Ummm, thanks? It was a serious question, regardless of what you think. Maybe you should check this forum's description and FAQs.

waveydavey 10-31-2007 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold Preflop

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks. See my post above.