Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   University calls me in for facebook note sharing group (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=533740)

xZExROx 10-29-2007 08:36 AM

University calls me in for facebook note sharing group

Ok... here comes the vent

I created a facegroup group called the "The not so secret "I'm open to sharing my law notes" group"

the group description reads as follows...

Final Semester, 5th year Law at Sydney, I have a pile (an electronic pile) of collated law notes since first year that i have made myself and that people have sent me...

Such notes make many people's lives easier(certainly made mine), and a facebook group dedicated to doing so would be a worthwhile thing to leave behind when i leave law school...

Concise course notes and lecture notes welcome as long as they are made yourself and do not infringe any intellectual property rights of sydney university or any other party... post what you have and or want and hopefully others will reply...

Today i get a phone call from the uni saying i need ot go see the dean and someone else to discuss it. they wont tell me anymore.

It is obviously not plagiarism. all the notes are mine or those of friends and no work was submitted as an assignment or anything. it is merely intended as crib notes to study from for law courses.

Assume there is no copyright infringement in that sense...

Can they do anything ? is this in any way in the wrong ?

I have read all the bi -laws policies etc and was wondering if anyone had any experience with this ?

XXXNoahXXX 10-29-2007 11:27 AM

Re: University calls me in for facebook note sharing group

Are you sure this is what it is about?

At my law school we have a designated online repository to share outlines and it's encouraged.

Some professors might say "use your own notes" but as a school-wide policy we are encouraged to share notes and probably 90% of people incorporate other peoples outlines into their own.

also, wtf 5th year law? Do you just continue straight through from college?

wstaffor 10-29-2007 11:27 AM

I don't see the problem. Every law school in the US has electronic databases of old outlines and notes.

sapol 10-29-2007 06:47 PM

They'll tell you that it is unethical to do that and to please delete it (they might do some light threat).

XXXNoahXXX 10-29-2007 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They'll tell you that it is unethical to do that and to please delete it (they might do some light threat).

[/ QUOTE ]

but its not unethical. wtf is wrong with your law schools?

as stated, american law schools are completely centered around collaboration, study groups, note sharing, etc.

sapol 10-29-2007 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

as stated, american law schools are completely centered around collaboration, study groups, note sharing, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

but at the same time they have the dumbest cheating policies ever

FlyWf 10-29-2007 10:56 PM

Law is an undergrad degree in Australia IIRC, not a professional degree.

xZExROx 10-29-2007 11:52 PM

Update:

They called me today and have informed me that it has been passed on to the university solicitor. They did inform me it was not academic misconduct or plagiarism which i effectively knew anyway which is good.

Pretty ridiculous the whole thing IMO. it is sydney law school in Australia btw
I have temporarily taken the group down [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

silver book 10-30-2007 06:30 AM

it might not be unethical but it could be against the law

school's rules

XXXNoahXXX 10-30-2007 10:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but at the same time they have the dumbest cheating policies ever

[/ QUOTE ]

such as?