Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   calling very thin (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=530174)

GAL 10-24-2007 10:32 AM

calling very thin

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $185
UTG+1: $440.25
hero: $457.30
Button: $51
SB: $354.40
BB: $227.55

Pre-flop: (6 players) hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $9</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls.

Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($21, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">hero raises to $22.5</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($66, 3 players)
UTG checks, hero checks.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($66, 3 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $66</font>, hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: $198

Too thin? i think he has 78 here or Im ahead

herbstl 10-24-2007 10:38 AM

Re: calling very thin

without reads I muck this quickly - which hands do you beat he calls a PSR on the Flop and PSB the river with ? It looks like he missed a C/R on the Turn and wants to extract money on the river.

sc000t 10-24-2007 11:15 AM

Read on the player would be nice here. I don't see how you came up with 78 here. I'd say its a set (maaaaye K8) or air, 89Tx, 9TJx, type hand.

Things that would help:
Read on player
Your table image
and speed of river psb

EDIT: I don't mind the call, given the read on the player warrents a looser call. I think this river bet is either a very strong hand or a missed draw, and if he flopped a set, I don't see him playing like this too often. Even K8 might donk lead the safe turn card. (Also, I'm a station so take my advice with a grain of salt)

Grandezza 10-24-2007 11:23 AM

at first i thought this was horrible but now i don't know. when he pots the river i think his range his pretty polarized. there isn't a flush draw so all you beat is some kind of straight draw. At the other end of his range i think you are almost exclusively looking at sets unless you run into some tricky opponent who is capable of doing this w/ kings up. but he really shouldn't expect you to making hero calls w/ worse two pair or less so i guess not..

isn't a lead like this mostly a draw or a weak hand? If he had a set I think he'd be more inclined to either lead bigger or check.

edit: now that I think of it I actually think he's more inclined to have K8 than sets given his flop lead and the fact that he just flat called your RR. he could slowplay a set but he'll obv repot less with K8 than sets. I'm actually starting to like a call more and more since the range that beats you is so small while the range you beat is much bigger.

alavet 10-24-2007 01:35 PM

i think its ok. he wouldnt PSB two pairs, he dont play trips too often
get it if you have proper bankroll

OrrLives 10-24-2007 03:08 PM

We need reads. Why did you think HE had 87XX?

Were you planning on raising the flop and going to passive mode if you get called?

Do you think a PSB on the turn would take it down?

Do you think that villain could be stealing river with a missed T9XX?

His small bet feels like a steal or a blocking bet with a T9XX type of hand (or a weak two pair as you suggest).

GAL 10-24-2007 03:26 PM

To be honest I didn't have any real reads, it just seems that people who lead at 1/2 nearly always do it with draws. I just felt that this was either 78 or nothing because
1) most people CR the PFR HU with sets
2) betting with 78 here for value is very thin, what hand do I call with that 78 beats?

OrrLives 10-24-2007 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest I didn't have any real reads, it just seems that people who lead at 1/2 nearly always do it with draws. I just felt that this was either 78 or nothing because
1) most people CR the PFR HU with sets
2) betting with 78 here for value is very thin, what hand do I call with that 78 beats?

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you planning on shutting down on the turn if you got called on the flop? I think that if you put him on 87XX you need to bet on the turn (at least 2/3 pot). If you get called, you still have a lot of outs for two pair.

crashwhips 10-24-2007 07:12 PM

I bet 2/3-full pot on turn, but as played, a call is good.