Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   OOP with an overpair on the turn, good line? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=529176)

STARSCREAM. 10-23-2007 03:58 AM

OOP with an overpair on the turn, good line?

I've been at the table for probably 100 or so hands. Villian seems fishy, typical 35/10/1 donk. I've been playing about 18/17/3 at this time.

I bet the turn with the intentions of folding to a raise, how is this logic? Also, how is the size of my bet? I figured 50NL players aren't usually advanced enough to get it in against me here figuring i'm weak because I bet only around 1/2 the size of the pot. I also wanted to try my hardest not to commit myself if I didn't deem necessary.

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

MP: $28.50
CO: $72.95
BTN: $25.75
SB: $49.50
BB: $60.85
Hero (UTG): $50

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $2.50</font>, MP folds, CO calls $2.50, BTN folds, SB calls $2.25, BB folds

Flop: ($8) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $6</font>, CO calls $6, SB folds

Turn: ($20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $12</font>

kroeliewoelie 10-23-2007 04:41 AM

Re: OOP with an overpair on the turn, good line?

If you are usually taking a 3/4 psb on the flop, 2/3 psb on the turn and 1/2 psb on the river, then your line doesn't look particular weak. But I prefer potting this flop, since it charges draws more.

b/f turn seems fine to me. If you check here you are giving up way too much value to AJ type of hands. And just because there is a flushdraw, doesn't mean that villain has the flush. And you have a flushdraw yourself on the turn, which is definitely good for you equity against his range (you beat more and he is less likely to have hearts).

STARSCREAM. 10-23-2007 05:01 AM

The only reason i didnt pot the flop is because i really dont want to commit here when a lot of the time being oop will lead to very difficult decisions on later streets. Aka I wanted to give myself some room to bail on the hand if I needed to.

wems 10-23-2007 06:38 AM

Why what exactly beats you here that you want to "bail on"? your way ahead of a flush draw on the flop... you want to get as much value out of the flush draws/AJ/JK/etc hands as you possibly can. and you want your opponent to make a mistake. calling a pot sized bet on the flop with a flush draw is a mistake...

why would we want to play a hand that is way ahead of villians range passively? if hes such a donk then we want to get money in the pot asap

STARSCREAM. 10-23-2007 11:36 AM

Because if i'm raised on this turn it seems like i'm never ahead, since I doubt most opponents are aggressive enough to do it with something like AhJx.

I agree that by betting pot I get full value from a flush draw, but not necessarily from any of his other holdings, middle pair or a pair between 7s and Jacks will potentially call a 3/4ths pot bet, but may fold to a full sized pot bet. And if he has one of those hands i'm obviously not too worried since if I check or bet the turn when it's a heart, you will rarely get raised if he has one of those hands.

And furthermore I don't think we're playing this hand passively at all, raising preflop, betting the flop, and now betting the turn isn't exactly passive in my book. This is just a situation where I have a hard time finding a balance between getting value from every pair that I beat, yet being able to let go of it when/if the flush card hits.

wslee00 10-23-2007 12:11 PM

this is played fine assuming you fold to a raise

STARSCREAM. 10-23-2007 01:00 PM

He did indeed min-raise the turn and I was forced to let it go.