Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   AC-ism in history? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528462)

boracay 10-22-2007 10:45 AM

AC-ism in history?

I’m trying to find the closest societies to AC-ism beliefs. What would that be?

For me AC-ism beliefs have much more in common with times of Wild West or times of industrial revolution than to modern societies.

I find it difficult to accept that living in such unregulated societies would be better or even more fair to the most population. I doubt a society where profits are put above the people would lead to any freedom at all since people would have only as much freedom / rights as they could afford it.

By putting profits above people and their rights AC-ism seems much more similar to corporatism than to a freedom society to me.

So, what could be examples of societies similar to AC-ism in history? Does this sound close enough: Large corporations working hand in hand with repressive regimes and employing private militias and militaries to violate people’s rights in Central America?

Thug Bubbles 10-22-2007 10:46 AM

Re: AC-ism in history?

Paging Borodog...

I remember Boro mentioning various cultures that had ACist-esque structures. IIRC from them, Native Americans and the Celtics were mentioned.

Isn't Corporatism symbiosis between Corporation and government? ACism is lack of government, so working with a "Regime" doesn't quite fly. Also, such a situation doesn't disappear in any form of Statism.

tomdemaine 10-22-2007 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I’m trying to find the closest societies to AC-ism beliefs. What would that be?

For me AC-ism beliefs have much more in common with times of Wild West or times of industrial revolution than to modern societies.

I find it difficult to accept that living in such unregulated societies would be better or even more fair to the most population. I doubt a society where profits are put above the people would lead to any freedom at all since people would have only as much freedom / rights as they could afford it.

By putting profits above people and their rights AC-ism seems much more similar to corporatism than to a freedom society to me.

So, what could be examples of societies similar to AC-ism in history? Does this sound close enough: Large corporations working hand in hand with repressive regimes and employing private militias and militaries to violate people’s rights in Central America?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly it. All AC supporters are big fans of oppression and restricting peoples rights that's why they're behind it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

tame_deuces 10-22-2007 10:51 AM

Kowlon walled city was linked earlier. It is quite interesting, especially the bit about after the triads was weakened is the one which is closest.

clicky

I don't think it qualifies on all points, (since it held businesses illegal in the surrounding hong kong so I'd imagine it had a v/ profitable market compared to pure AC) and some government functions were delivered by Hong Kong (mail and stuff) but its an interesting read nonetheless.

iron81 10-22-2007 11:08 AM

I think the best case scenario was Medieval Ireland, although I think Somalia is more appropriate.

tomdemaine 10-22-2007 11:14 AM

The answer is you. Did you need to use violence and coercion to get your job? To get your partner? When you bought your groceries? Your whole life is an AC society (well until April 17 at least). If violence is wrong in the personal and wrong in the abstract why does it become right in the foggy middle ground of government?

bocablkr 10-22-2007 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is you. Did you need to use violence and coercion to get your job? To get your partner? When you bought your groceries? Your whole life is an AC society (well until April 17 at least). If violence is wrong in the personal and wrong in the abstract why does it become right in the foggy middle ground of government?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never experienced this 'violence' you speak of - please elaborate.

tomdemaine 10-22-2007 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try not paying your taxes.

bocablkr 10-22-2007 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I do that?

Nonfiction 10-22-2007 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I do that?

[/ QUOTE ]
You are paying protection money to the government so they do not use "violence" against you. If you stop paying, hello violence.