Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   A fun way (for packrats) to determine which clothes to toss/donate (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=528113)

captZEEbo 10-21-2007 09:13 PM

A fun way (for packrats) to determine which clothes to toss/donate

I just had this fun brainstorm to figure out which clothes I don't actually wear anymore. I have about 100 t-shirts that I've never tossed over the past 8 years, and I want to figure out which clothes I don't actually wear anymore. This assumes you hang up a majority of your clothes.

1) put all clean clothes on the right side of the closet
2) before picking out a shirt, start from the left and evaluate which clothes to wear each day from left to right.

After a few months it should work out that all the clothes that you don't need/want, but can't toss, end up on the left side of the closet.

XXXNoahXXX 10-21-2007 09:29 PM

Re: A fun way (for packrats) to determine which clothes to toss/donate

This is much easier with a girlfriend. I just hold them up and if she says "wtf is that, i've never seen that one before" then I toss it out. I still have way too many clothes, but i've realized that given our limited closet space, getting rid of clothes just means my gf's intrude on my side, so I end up with no more room despite the less clothes.

if you're in college another good way to realize you need to get rid of some clothes or even wear some less is to look on facebook and see what you're wearing in pics. also helps you judge what looks good on you better.

Thornsten 10-21-2007 09:36 PM

I do something similar, I hang all the clothes with the hangar hook facing out towards me. Then after something gets worn and put away, I hang it with the hangar hook in like normal.

wezvidz 10-21-2007 09:52 PM

Isn't this obvious? I do it this exact way, mainly so I don't wear the same shirt like every other day without realizing it (which I am capable of). Every new laundry load goes on the right and I always start on the left to pick my clothes.

And I've certainly noticed the same phenomenon that clothes permanently residing on the left can just be removed.

AlexM 10-21-2007 10:56 PM

You clean your shirts before you've used each and every one of them? Weird.

garcia1000 10-21-2007 11:03 PM

I take all my old clothes with me on holidays.
Then, I throw them away with wild abandon!
This ensures my clothes are clean, and that my luggage is not stuffed full with dirty clothes at the end of my trip.

XXXNoahXXX 10-21-2007 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take all my old clothes with me on holidays.
Then, I throw them away with wild abandon!
This ensures my clothes are clean, and that my luggage is not stuffed full with dirty clothes at the end of my trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

but then don't you look like a schlub on vacation?

i've done this before with underwear and socks before, one last sendoff.

garcia1000 10-21-2007 11:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but then don't you look like a schlub on vacation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. As opposed to my normal demeanour, which is suave and sophisticated, when I am on vacation I go for the unkempt, rakish scoundrel look.

Your mileage may vary.