Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Putting opponent all-in on the river ... (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=526653)

Genesis 10-19-2007 03:13 PM

Putting opponent all-in on the river ...

When you have a hnad you believe is best on the river and want to put your opponent all-in do you do anything special with the bet size?

As an example,

Pot is $10 going to the river.
Opponent has $4.57 remaining.
You have $14.47 left.

Opponent has called pot sized bet on flop, 2/3 pot on turn. You suspect he has top pair with a decent kicker, you have an overpair AA. You want to get him all-in.

What would you typically bet? I know the question may seem ridiculous as we are putting him in all-in regardless, but is there any psychological effect of our bet size on his chance to call?

reemas 10-19-2007 03:17 PM

Re: Putting opponent all-in on the river ...

I've always shoved, but this is a great question.

Sniiii 10-19-2007 03:18 PM

I usually just use the slider.

WhiteWolf 10-19-2007 03:21 PM

Where's the $4.58 option????

Genesis 10-19-2007 03:30 PM

Only so many options I can give. I would lump $4.58 with $4.57. Both are intentional manually typed amounts trying to put pressure on opponent.

iheartponeez 10-19-2007 03:36 PM

I usually put in exactly his stack. Never considered it in detail though.

baker2g 10-19-2007 03:38 PM

i round up, so in this case id just go 5

You're No Daisy 10-19-2007 03:41 PM

When I am confident I have the best hand on the river and have my opponent covered, I will put him all-in by typing the exact amount he has left in his stack. This does a few things:

1. It makes him say, "This [censored] put me all-in, cocky [censored]! This sets you up later when you do it to him again and he decides to call with a 2nd best hand. It also works when he decides to take a 2nd best hand to the river and you just put in a decent sized value bet and he calls (because he's still pissed you put him all-in earlier LOL).

2. It really messes with some people. They just plain don't like it. It's very psychological. Villains think you're being a cocky SOB.

When you shove all-in or go all-in over the top of someone or they check the river and you bet 1/2, 2/3 of the pot they'll typically fold. They tend to believe they're beat. But when you put someone in for the exact amount of their stack, they tend to not like that. I know I don't. It's really psychological. This is just my opinion. I'm looking forward to what others have to say.

AC

well named 10-19-2007 03:46 PM

I do the exact amount when I have some inclination that the villain thinks I might be on air, especially if they have folded to my turn or river bets in big pots in the past. It probably doesn't have a huge effect but it does annoy some people so why not. Otherwise I just round up to the next even number.

buttonpusher 10-19-2007 03:55 PM

I usually just shove, I think a shove seems more like a bluff to people which can get a call. Bet sizing to a persons stack does work against certain opponents though, they just hate it.