Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   River confusion (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=524601)

sean c 10-16-2007 09:48 PM

River confusion

FT 2/4. Not been at the table long and the button hasn't stood out in any way.

Pre flop: 3 folds, button raises, I 3-bet A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], BB folds, button caps and I call.

Flop(2 players 9sb): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check/call.

Turn(2 players 5.5bb): K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I check and he checks behind.

River(2 players 5.5bb): K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
I?

JSmith2007 10-16-2007 09:51 PM

Re: River confusion

I check/fold.

Any (pocket) pair beats you as does A10+. Against an unknown, I don't think I would call a river bet as that's putting a capper on queen high and not sure he would cap with A7 or lower. I just don't see a ton of hands you can beat given the preflop play.

As always, I could be wrong though.

istewart 10-16-2007 09:51 PM

Checkfold the river.

I really want to get active on this flop but I can't fault you for not doing it as nobody folds AK on this board. I want to see what other people say since I'm sure it's quite common to just autopilot checkraise in this spot.

sean c 10-16-2007 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check/fold.

Any (pocket) pair beats you as does A10+. Against an unknown, I don't think I would call a river bet

[/ QUOTE ]

I never considered check/calling.

istewart 10-16-2007 09:58 PM

You would need to be checkraising other hands for value (just as a general metagame comment) in order for this play to work. IMO if he goes for the vb with a big ace, he will think there's 0 chance you are checkraising this river with a real hand and instinctively look you up (esp. given the board).

sean c 10-16-2007 10:06 PM

I was mainly wanted to see if anyone bet out here vs check/fold. Does your default unknown ever fold a better ace/hand here? Seems to me like Ax would be a pretty big part of his range given the turn check no?

istewart 10-16-2007 10:08 PM

Oh if you weren't thinking about checkraising (my fault, lol), then no, definitely don't bet here. His hand range is 99%+ better hands and he will never never ever fold them to a river bet given his line.

JSmith2007 10-16-2007 10:12 PM

I agree. If you were looking to see if to bet out, definitely not. As I said in my first post, there aren't many hands that he will cap preflop with that you beat right now. You'd have to put him on Q high, capping preflop for him to fold. I don't think there's any equity here in betting.

sean c 10-16-2007 10:19 PM

istewart you are probably right I guess its a pretty bad spot to try and fold another Ax hand without some sort of read. I assume given the way I played the flop you go for a check/raise if a spade hits? In hindsight I guess this wasn't a great idea either.

istewart 10-16-2007 10:23 PM

Yeah given the way you play the flop I would go for a checkraise on a flush.