Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Books and Publications (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   What's derivation of phrase "go into the tank?" (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=522174)

Bill Haywood 10-13-2007 02:56 PM

What\'s derivation of phrase \"go into the tank?\"

I know what it means, but where does the "tank" business come from?

andyfox 10-13-2007 04:28 PM

Re: What\'s derivation of phrase \"go into the tank?\"

Research institutions are known as "think tanks."

Johnny Hughes 10-14-2007 06:51 PM

Maybe it comes from jail. Last time, I was in a holding cell, then the tank...a big cell. Sometimes called the drunk tank.

In my upcoming novel, Texas Poker Wisdom, I used a lot of the slang I have collected over fifty years. There are some expressiona that no one seems to know the origin of, such as Six Three is called Old Blocky. Why? The old Dudes I started playing with would say, "I thought he said a match.", when someone made a big bet. Never knew what it meant.

Johnny Hughes

Bobo Fett 10-15-2007 03:10 AM

From dictionary.com:

---------
go in the tank, Boxing Slang. to go through the motions of a match but deliberately lose because of an illicit prearrangement or fix; throw a fight.
----------

Elsewhere I read that the "tank" part might have come from the image evoked by "taking a dive"...perhaps diving in the "tank"?

Zorlac 10-17-2007 09:33 PM

I'm thinking Houdini in a straight jacket.

I could be wrong.

.Z

syntaxjack 10-17-2007 09:53 PM

If refers to the old sesory deprivation chambers. They called them 'the tank' and said it is the only way to think perfectly clear, without your other senses distracting you.

cheers,
SJ
Google: 'World Poker Clinic' ; it's cool.

Bobo Fett 10-17-2007 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From dictionary.com:

---------
go in the tank, Boxing Slang. to go through the motions of a match but deliberately lose because of an illicit prearrangement or fix; throw a fight.
----------

Elsewhere I read that the "tank" part might have come from the image evoked by "taking a dive"...perhaps diving in the "tank"?

[/ QUOTE ]
I should clarify...the "taking a dive" and diving in the "tank" I mentioned were still in reference to throwing a fight.

Stagger_Lee 10-18-2007 03:38 AM

Tennis players are also accused of 'tanking'

This seems to refer to the boxing example above, and is different to "going into the tank" - which means the "think tank".

Sharikov 10-18-2007 04:18 PM

It refers to a floatation tank. The American neurophysiologist Professor Dr John C. Lilly built a floatation thank in 1950s to investigate whether the origins of conscious activity lie within the brain. A floatation tank was used to eliminate all outside distractions such as sight, sound, touch, and gravity to determine whether the brain needed external stimuli to keep its conscious states going.