Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Separate Bankrolls? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=520053)

Certified Star 10-10-2007 04:48 PM

Separate Bankrolls?

My bankroll is roughly 5k....4k of which is FTP and 1k on stars. Should I treat these as separate bankrolls and play accordingly for each site or treat it as 1 bankroll and play accordingly? Any information would be helpful.

boggs 10-10-2007 04:50 PM

Re: Separate Bankrolls?

Treat them seperately. If you take the 1k you have on stars and treat it like a 5k bankroll it might not last long because you'll be playing above the limits that the 1,000 will last you.

Soupy 10-10-2007 04:55 PM

how easily can you get it transfered between them?

Certified Star 10-10-2007 04:59 PM

I have a friend who could get me money from FTP to stars, but I prefer not to do it as I find it a pain in the ass.

pzhon 10-10-2007 05:34 PM

In general, you should treat them as part of the same bankroll. The normal assumption in bankroll management theory is that losing your entire bankroll is a disaster, not an inconvenience.

If you could wager the 20% you have on PokerStars as a 6:1 favorite, you should jump at the chance. (This is much safer than normal poker unless you only play for really small stakes, in which case it saves you a lot of time, and you are safe even if you lose.) If that were all of the money you could afford to lose playing poker, you should probably avoid that gamble.

boggs 10-10-2007 05:54 PM

If you were to treat it as one, why play on two separate sites? You can run hot one place and not as hot on another. Maybe what I'm saying doesn't make sense but I'm just asking for a some clarity on why treating it as one bankroll is the proper way to approach it.

Yads 10-10-2007 06:25 PM

The reason you would play on 2 different sites is game selection. Sometimes there is a really good game one one site, sometimes on another. Or guaranteed tournaments with an overlay. Just treat it as one me bankroll.

Certified Star 10-10-2007 06:35 PM

I rarely play MTT's and never risk more than 5% of my BR on any one tourney. I play 5-10 LHE...so what I'm kind of uncertain about is should i drop down a limit or so on stars since i only have 100BB on that site?

Wilco666 10-10-2007 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to treat it as one, why play on two separate sites? You can run hot one place and not as hot on another. Maybe what I'm saying doesn't make sense but I'm just asking for a some clarity on why treating it as one bankroll is the proper way to approach it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Statistically, this is the wrong approach. Losing the complete bankroll is a disaster, losing the amount on one site is not.

If it is extremely important to be able to play on both sites at any time AND transferring money between sites is difficult, then a little extra caution does make sense.