Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Full Ring (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   NL25: 77 OOP with runner Jacks & 3 flush on board. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=519096)

EN09 10-09-2007 12:36 PM

NL25: 77 OOP with runner Jacks & 3 flush on board.

Only 20 hands on villain, not enough to get a sense of his play but he's been in a lot of pots since he showed up. just trying some new things and changing up my play. thoughts?

EN

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $29
UTG: $24.40
Hero (UTG+1): $24.65
MP: $27
CO: $11.05
BTN: $5.60
SB: $11.80

Pre-Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.50</font>, MP folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.75</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.85) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $1.85</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.50</font>, CO calls $2.65
<font color="blue">pop it here to see if i can take it down </font>

Turn: ($10.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks
<font color="blue">got called on flop so put on some brakes? </font>

River: ($10.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.50</font>
<font color="blue">misapplication of blocking bet? villain checked thru on the turn, weak? strong? does this blocking bet attempt suck? or just c/f here? </font>

AlexB182 10-09-2007 12:49 PM

Re: NL25: 77 OOP with runner Jacks & 3 flush on board.

Misapplication might be the right term here because in general, you use a blocking bet to see a cheap showdown with a hand that might be good often on a kind of scary board.
Here, you could ve gone for a bluff on the river maybe or for a 2nd barrel on the turn, repping a made flush, a set or a big pair.
In fact you're not beating anything here, he'll show you TT,A9, maybe even 88 most of the times here.
So to sum this up: I think you messed this hand up pretty bad.

BTW: wtf is that minraise PF from UTG+1? Don't do that.

ranka 10-09-2007 01:30 PM

Lets start from beggining.

Preflop: There are two ways to play small pocket pairs EP. Just limp or raise. If you choose raising then raise more, this minraise sucks hardly! I vote for raising and I would make it to 1$

Flop: As played I would just check-fold the flop. I really dont know where you are standing (preflop minraises) but I know your hand is not enough strong for showdown. You are invested only 0.75$ and its very easy fold. As played, you check-raised. I dont like but I dont hate it too but its not my line. But again this raise is soooooo small. Make it larger atleast 6 and It will take some effect.

Turn: As played before: Check is fine

River: Just check-fold. There is not any point to make this bet. Why blocking bet? For cheap showdown? What for? Even if he call, then you are beat. He will fold/check air anyway.

EN09 10-09-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In fact you're not beating anything here, he'll show you TT,A9, maybe even 88 most of the times here.
So to sum this up: I think you messed this hand up pretty bad.

BTW: wtf is that minraise PF from UTG+1? Don't do that.

[/ QUOTE ]

how 'bout him showing you KK???

the UTG+1 minraise is from NLHE:T&amp;P using the set example from pg 113 on building a pot to get stacks in. another judicious use of misplay here?

EN

AlexB182 10-09-2007 03:11 PM

If that is really in NLTAP, I start to understand why some people say it sucks and I'm even more happy that I never read it...

"how 'bout him showing you KK???"

I'm not getting this line.

EN09 10-09-2007 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"how 'bout him showing you KK???"

I'm not getting this line.

[/ QUOTE ]

he called the river bet and showed KK.

thanks for the help alex

EN

Vecernicek 10-09-2007 04:19 PM

I'm pretty sure this isn't in NLTAP. At least not on p. 113.

EN09 10-09-2007 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure this isn't in NLTAP. At least not on p. 113.

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty sure it is.

pg 113 just above mid page discusses 5/10NL w/1500 stacks and pocket 4's as your hand. example shows the difference of being able to get a player to commit a stack with a $30 raise vs. a $60 raise. it also discusses the downside of getting reraised. where your calling a reraise with the $60 lead may not be giving you enough implied odds to compete for stacks with 44 given the size of the stacks, though calling a reraise when you opened for the $30 you possibly could still have good implied odds with the remaining stack sizes.

at $30 a good player may be wary of a larger bet and get away, where at $60 initial raise there is enough in there to build a pot large enough to possibly get the stacks to commit.

EN

Vecernicek 10-10-2007 03:24 PM

Oh, well I guess I was looking for the spot on that page where they advocate making a min-raise, esp fro UTG+1. I still can't find it.

RapidEvolution 10-10-2007 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only 20 hands on villain, not enough to get a sense of his play but he's been in a lot of pots since he showed up. just trying some new things and changing up my play. thoughts?

EN

Full Tilt Poker, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 7 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $29
UTG: $24.40
Hero (UTG+1): $24.65
MP: $27
CO: $11.05
BTN: $5.60
SB: $11.80

Pre-Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.50</font>, MP folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $0.75</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.25

Flop: ($1.85) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $1.85</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4.50</font>, CO calls $2.65
<font color="blue">pop it here to see if i can take it down </font>

Turn: ($10.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, CO checks
<font color="blue">got called on flop so put on some brakes? </font>

River: ($10.85) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2.50</font>
<font color="blue">misapplication of blocking bet? villain checked thru on the turn, weak? strong? does this blocking bet attempt suck? or just c/f here? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

*grrrunch*

Do you always minraise preflop? I'm not a huge fan of varying preflop bet sizes by hand. I'd rather vary it by previous limpers and possibly position (though I like 4BB+1BB/limper). CO's raise is trash, but this this is usually a very strong pair (KK+) trying to get other people in the pot (yuck!)

Flop: Unless you've got a read that villain likes to float, I'd rather just b/f the flop. If you had a read that he would stab at this with AK, then I like the c/r but betting out is cheaper. Once he calls the c/r I'm done unless the board changes drastically.

Turn: The low variance play IMO is to check here too...some might like a b/f line better but I'm a bit wary after he calls your c/r.

River: The second jack means your now beating 4-5, but I doubt 4-5 would minraise you preflop. I think his most likely holding is a high pair (and maybe AdKd that was trapping on turn lol) (it matches all the actions so far). The question is, what to do? Without reads, I'd c/f river. If you knew he could lay it down to a bet, then bet, but my guess is you'd have to bet big and even then, he may not fold. The blocking bet isn't folding out anything that beats you and I think the showdown value of the 7's is in the toilet.