Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Hidden Nut straight on 3 flush board & a river raise NLCASH (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=516863)

People_Mover 10-06-2007 11:19 AM

Hidden Nut straight on 3 flush board & a river raise NLCASH

Full Tilt Poker, $1/$2 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 2 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

Hero (BB): $502
SB: $242.50

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
<font color="red">SB raises to $6</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $18</font>, SB calls $12

Flop: ($36) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, SB checks

Turn: ($36) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, SB checks

River: ($36) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $28</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $120</font>

jay_shark 10-06-2007 11:30 AM

Re: Hidden Nut straight on 3 flush board & a river raise

He's giving you exactly 2:1 .

I would lean towards a call because of his two checks on the previous rounds . Something doesn't add up here but perhaps he's trying to play unconventionally .

dpdawson 10-06-2007 11:41 AM

I am not sure I can ever fold this unless Villain has been playing extremely trappy and I have some kind of read on checking the turn nuts from position.

On the turn there is 4 to the straight, so you would think a decent player would try to extract value from the straight if he had the flush. Is he really holding out for the river re-raise? Do you always bet on the river from OOP if flop and turn are checked? Just some things to think about.

dpdawson 10-06-2007 04:43 PM

Every time I look at this hand it gets more interesting.

How often are you re-raising preflop? Does he know you have high cards here or could you be trying to steal the pot with nothing on the scary river? Do you bet scare cards a lot with nothing? Have you been caught doing that recently?

You played it so slow that his play is decent with ATC because you have to fold without a T and he can be pretty sure you don't have a flush.

I think you are going to see a bluff (non flush, non straight), TT, AT, or a flush in that order of likelihood. The bluff, TT, and AT being much more likely than the flush.

Given no reads, I call.

xSCWx 10-06-2007 05:02 PM

Re: Hidden Nut straight on 3 flush board & a river raise NLCASH

I'd call. Please don't raise.

MasterLJ 10-06-2007 05:47 PM

Isn't the question here whether calling or pushing is better?

I'm not convinced raising is bad as I simply can't see villain checking turn with the flush in a RR pot especially since it's a King.

I lean towards pushing.

jay_shark 10-06-2007 06:10 PM

You should lean towards calling because he's not calling you unless he has you beat .

xSCWx 10-06-2007 06:46 PM

The worst hand I can see a decent villain raising this much with is AT. A raise here is definitely -EV against any sane player.

GabeTheKid 10-07-2007 06:04 AM

I think the best line here depends on your reads of your opponent.

Is he capable of checking the flush on the turn?
Is he capable of laying down a T on the river if you shove?

If you answered no to both those questions, then shove.
If you answered no to Q1 but yes to Q2, still shove.
If you answered yes to Q1 then call.

Kalledrengen 10-07-2007 07:18 AM

I would difinitely call here with no other specific reads on villain. I personally wouldn't raise here unless I had more solid reads on villain either.