Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Psychology (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   How do you untilt? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=515506)

greggg230 10-04-2007 11:27 AM

How do you untilt?

So I've found that I'll play poker for a few hours, and if I go on a downswing I'll start tilting a little and playing like crap. Nothing major - not like I want to hang myself or something. I just start playing a little looser and don't give up on pots when I clearly should. Just basic tilt.

So, basically, I've found I just need to stop playing for a few hours and then when I get back, I'll be calm and collected and be able to play my A-game again. However, if I need or want to play more poker, it can be a little annoying to take a long break like that.

So, my question is: Are there any specific activities you engage in that help suppress the Tilt Monster? Do you exercise? Watch a movie? etc.

aaokwitme 10-05-2007 12:32 AM

Re: How do you untilt?

If you feel you still must play, just play fake money games or micro limets. I can just wach TV and come back when I feel my A game is back

CrustyFace 10-05-2007 07:15 AM

I only tilt when i make mistakes. I have a habit of laughing at getting bad beat. It doesnt actually matter if you lose, so long as you didnt make a mistake.

GSykes 10-05-2007 07:55 AM

rub one out

SRSLY

6471849653 10-06-2007 01:04 AM

The solution is in the formula that puts one on tilt. Altering the factors in that formula will improve things. Those factors are inside and outside one's own head. Experience is one factor that changes inner factors, understanding the other. Outer factors also need to be changes as there is no way not to be effected by the tilt. One needs to know one's limits and withdraw - the tilt will remain more till it gets out of the active memory, so there is no way to untilt as far as that goes, though one could say/do back to get even and so feel better - it's just not going to solve the inner problems, but it could be more of a matter of an outer problem, something one may need to learn to handle in a way that one tilts less. Being an arse to people around is not the soluting as can be seen from people who use it remaining on a permanent tilt and never getting all that much stronger in tolerating tilt and overcoming its inner and subtle outer factors. One needs to observe the outer factors causing tilt and often avoid them.

Vinetou 10-08-2007 05:48 PM

Just suckout on somebody.

mce86 10-10-2007 01:36 AM

I start playing as if somebody was asking me what to do....like im coaching my own little player. This self-dialogue often helps get me back on track and not chase losses.
Also, going thru the ups and downs, helps you handle the ups and downs!

luckyjimm 10-12-2007 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rub one out

SRSLY

[/ QUOTE ]

QFMFT

Take a nap afterwards, too

Sniiii 10-12-2007 10:02 AM

Read about Townsend's 3mill downswing, and laugh at your own.

DblBarrelJ 10-12-2007 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
rub one out

SRSLY

[/ QUOTE ]

If that doesn't work, go to the firing range, shoot some paper.