Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   How quickly does cardiovascular fitness dissipate? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=514471)

LuckOfTheDraw 10-03-2007 02:11 AM

How quickly does cardiovascular fitness dissipate?

I hurt my foot a couple weeks ago. For the past year or so, I had been doing anywhere from 60-80 minutes of medium-intense cardio on a stationary bike. The foot is getting better, but it will probably be at least another week until I'll feel comfortable doing any exercise on it. I'm just curious as to how fast people lose their level of cardiovascular fitness during periods (at least three weeks, in my case) of little to no exercise. What about the strength of my legs?

Wolfram 10-03-2007 06:20 AM

Re: How quickly does cardiovascular fitness dissipate?

When i was competing in squash and took a 2-4 week break I'd notice a sharp dropoff in stamina and leg strength for the 1st week. But you do bounce back really quickly. I don't think there's any long-term negative effect unless you're dropping out of training regularly.

Weir 10-03-2007 01:20 PM

mondays were always the hardest day if you take the weekend off. You literally lose something in two days. But 3 weeks won't do anything significant . you are going to suck for a few weeks probably, but you will be back to normal.

PLOlover 10-03-2007 02:02 PM

interesting question. I've heard it takes 3 months to "get in shape", I guess because of the "lifespan" of red blood cells and such, does that mean that if you sit on the couch for 3 months you will be "out of shape"?

shemp 10-03-2007 02:54 PM

I don't know about 3 months, but I've felt like I was starting over after 6 months. 3 weeks I would think you'd be well off your peak, but still very quickly back up to a good level. In fact, I think a two week break is probably a good idea somewhere over a year.

Banks2334 10-03-2007 05:35 PM

Generally speaking, for every week off, it will take you about two weeks to get back to your original level of fitness. The key is to ease back into your training, don't resume training at the previous level as if nothing happened.

PLOlover 10-03-2007 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally speaking, for every week off, it will take you about two weeks to get back to your original level of fitness. The key is to ease back into your training, don't resume training at the previous level as if nothing happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

is it true to go from sedentary to decent cardio shape is about a 3 month deal?

notfreemoney 10-03-2007 06:14 PM

noticable dropoffs occur after about 2 weeks

Blarg 10-03-2007 06:14 PM

Two or three days, as noted above, seems about right if you are working somewhere near your peak, like you would for a competitive sport.

b_jerkins 10-03-2007 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two or three days, as noted above, seems about right if you are working somewhere near your peak, like you would for a competitive sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Do you have any articles/research that goes with this? I'm not trying to discredit you, but as a competitive rower, this is both amazing and depressing..