Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Full Buy in Vs Buying In Short (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=513974)

TheFuGu 10-02-2007 02:41 PM

Full Buy in Vs Buying In Short

I have noticed that there are a lot of players (including many of the best pros) who are choosing to buy in short for the bigger plo games. I also see guys like Ivey, Ziigmund and Patrik buying in for the full amount. I have read Rolfs book and see the advantage in buying in short when against aggressive opponents but still wonder which is optimal for your standard aggressive plo game?

thanks

If this has been covered which I am sure it has link please [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Elrazor 10-02-2007 02:58 PM

Re: Full Buy in Vs Buying In Short

the advantage of buying in for a full stack is people will talk to you on this forum

jbird 10-02-2007 03:05 PM

If you believe you have an edge on your opponents and they have more money than you do on the table, you are sacrificing profit.

I can think of a few reasons for shortstacking:

1. You suck.
2. You want to make your opponents think you suck, even though you don't really suck.
3. You never want to be put to a tough postflop decision (see #1)
4. You want to take a shot higher than your BR warrants.

There's really nothing wrong with any of those reasons, and it's your money, so do whatever you want. But you'll be taking money out of your pocket if you are better than your opponents and sit with less than they have.

Also -- check out the search function.

pete fabrizio 10-02-2007 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you believe you have an edge on your opponents and they have more money than you do on the table, you are sacrificing profit.

1. You suck.
2. You want to make your opponents think you suck, even though you don't really suck.
3. You never want to be put to a tough postflop decision (see #1)
4. You want to take a shot higher than your BR warrants.

There's really nothing wrong with any of those reasons, and it's your money, so do whatever you want. But you'll be taking money out of your pocket if you are better than your opponents and sit with less than they have.

Also -- check out the search function.

[/ QUOTE ]

As per the discussion in cmyr's cap games thread, I don't think 4) is a good reason.

gordo16 10-02-2007 04:10 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

1. You suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

That looks about right.

The major PLO pros all buy in full because then you're actually playing the game; being forced to make decisions post-flop. Buy in short if you like getting your money in as a 60/40 favorite pre flop and watching the dealer peel the cards as other people actually play the hand through.

roggles 10-02-2007 04:43 PM

I only buy in for $70 at 100 PL because otherwise I don't have 50 buy-ins :O

sqwisssssss 10-02-2007 05:23 PM

i think not buying full is sacrificing all the tools in your arsenal. buying in short limits your play.

pete fabrizio 10-02-2007 05:29 PM

I think playing a 50bb stack may have the highest wr/sd ratio.

sqwisssssss 10-02-2007 05:35 PM

pete, whats wr/sd?

TheRempel 10-02-2007 10:21 PM

Work Rate / Standard Deviation, meaning he thinks that playing 50BB gives you the highest WR relative to your risk of ruin.