Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   My First College Interview (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512819)

furyshade 10-01-2007 12:27 AM

My First College Interview

tomorrow i am doing an overnight stay and an interview with Harvey Mudd College, this is among my first choices. i'm going to be lead around by a student there and go to classes with them, not sure if they are gonna report anything about me but i will assume they will to be safe. any suggestions about how i should approach this kind of math/science school to most improve my shot at being admited? any help would be appreciated since this could really help me.

things to take into consideration about me
-i go to a private highschool in LA
-im taking 2 math and 2 science course
-one each of the math and science courses are college level
-i wont be taking calculus during HS(long story) so i will be taking it over the summer since they require it
-i spent last summer at a summer college program at stanford and the year before that worked in a lab for a month
-i am a successful 2/4nl player, don't know if this is something to bring up

thanks for any help

p.s. i plan to major in engineering, 40% of people there major in it

relativity_x 10-01-2007 12:43 AM

Re: My First College Interview

There are better engineering colleges.

Also, only 29% of the population is female.

furyshade 10-01-2007 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are better engineering colleges.

Also, only 29% of the population is female.

[/ QUOTE ]

for the first part: yeah, but i know i cannot get into stanford/berkeley engineering, and i really like the way their curriculum works
and second part: but it is less than 100ft away from scripps, an all girls school

relativity_x 10-01-2007 12:47 AM

I would consider how much money Mudd allocates towards their labs/research.

I would also recommend looking at senior design projects to see what you'll be doing senior year, and how it will help you in industry.

Taso 10-01-2007 12:48 AM

Only 25% of women attending scripps are actually women.

furyshade 10-01-2007 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would consider how much money Mudd allocates towards their labs/research.

I would also recommend looking at senior design projects to see what you'll be doing senior year, and how it will help you in industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

the way it works is they have a "clinic" program, where companies like microsoft, boeing, etc. pay harvey mudd some amount to have students solve problems they have

relativity_x 10-01-2007 12:53 AM

I just scanned their site. It seems that you receive a general engineering degree, not a speciality in mechanical/chemical/civil/aerospace?

I also saw their "design projects" or clinic as they call it. From what I could gather, they don't compete against other colleges, which is lame.

furyshade 10-01-2007 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just scanned their site. It seems that you receive a general engineering degree, not a speciality in mechanical/chemical/civil/aerospace?

I also saw their "design projects" or clinic as they call it. From what I could gather, they don't compete against other colleges, which is lame.

[/ QUOTE ]

the way their engineering degree works is to prepare for real world and let you work in any field of engineering, also 40-50% of graduating class goes directly to PhD anyway

furyshade 10-01-2007 12:58 AM

also, the intention of this thread isn't to ask whether or not i should apply, i already know my college list which i can post if necessary. i'll worry about where i go when i know where i've been accepted, the intent of this is to more know what i should do to make this interview and future ones go as well as possible

relativity_x 10-01-2007 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the way their engineering degree works is to prepare for real world and let you work in any field of engineering, also 40-50% of graduating class goes directly to PhD anyway

[/ QUOTE ]

What percentage of students participate in co-ops, which allow you to receive experience in industry?

I'm providing you with good questions to ask the university that others won't.