Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   I need a plan before I call this (PF, ATs, BB) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512513)

johnnycakes 09-30-2007 03:29 PM

I need a plan before I call this (PF, ATs, BB)

1/2 NL

Dealt to HERO [10d Ad]
2 Folds
Badguy - Raises $8 to $8
1 Folds
HERO Calls $6

Villain is abc player. Doesn't raise junk preflop. If he doesn't hit good, he's not really continuing after the flop. He doesn't bluff much. So, he's a prime candidate to take a pot away from on the right flop.

So, I should call right? I happen to have ATs here, but I can do this with a bunch of hands against this guy - Basically any suited or connected. So, if the "take the pot away on a good flop" line doesn't work, I can always hit my hand.

So, I call.

What should I be thinking about doing on the flop (before I see it)?

*** FLOP *** [7h 8d 2c]

I guess that's what I'm looking for. Now...C/R?

Wolfram 10-01-2007 09:58 AM

Re: I need a plan before I call this (PF, ATs, BB)

[ QUOTE ]
So, I should call right? I happen to have ATs here, but I can do this with a bunch of hands against this guy - Basically any suited or connected. So, if the "take the pot away on a good flop" line doesn't work, I can always hit my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't defend with suited aces. It's usually a recipe for disaster.

Given your read, I'd much rather cold/call this guy in position. If you're gonna outplay people, try to do it with position.

All your options are pretty bad on this flop. You could do an oop float, but that's very dangerous and can easily blow up in your face. A c/r has similar bad consequences, because you have to give up if he calls/raises. Both plays need to work a too high a % of the times to be profitable.

Jamougha 10-01-2007 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What about AKs? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Preflop is fine.

Oi Frango 10-01-2007 10:20 AM

If he regularly folds after not hitting flops, leading out is a cheaper way of taking the pot away. C/R is more expensive when it goes wrong.

klb. 10-01-2007 10:25 AM

Generally a 3-bet is better, with you being oop and all. But I don't mind a call some percentage of the time, just be prepared to make a move post once in a while. Against the player you described a c/r on that flop is obv nice.

Wolfram 10-01-2007 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, you know what I mean. A2s-A9s+

I'm just parroting something I heard in a B.Townsend vid, but it makes a ton of sense. Generally, playing oop is bad unless you have a specific reason to. And I'd much rather have 67s than Axs if most of my EV in the hand is going to come from outplaying villain.

skibbel 10-01-2007 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Generally a 3-bet is better

[/ QUOTE ]
I doubt this, if u get called, your dominated so easily...
I usually call this, 3-bet some % of the time, and fold the rest.

I would never c/r this flop, u're range is air/set/top2, and ppl don't believe sets, so look up light.
If u c/r, u have to bet the turn often, cause so many hands will call flop but fold UI to a turnbet.

Jamougha 10-01-2007 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Lol, you know what I mean. A2s-A9s+

I'm just parroting something I heard in a B.Townsend vid, but it makes a ton of sense. Generally, playing oop is bad unless you have a specific reason to. And I'd much rather have 67s than Axs if most of my EV in the hand is going to come from outplaying villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

He stresses a lot that you can't call with hands like A3s, but kickers matter a lot here. Hands down to A8s or A7s are OK depending on the situation, and ATs dominates the typical TAG range for opening OTB.