Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Health and Fitness (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   How do I get better at arm wrestling? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=512100)

MrOnizuka 09-29-2007 08:27 PM

How do I get better at arm wrestling?

I'm a pretty skinny guy, about 5'11 and 150lb or so. I started working out semi-seriously about 6 months ago with one of my goals in mind being to be able to beat this friend of mine in arm wrestling. He's pretty much my exact same height and maybe 15 lbs heavier, so it's not like he's massive or anything.

Anyways, it seems like I've increased my arm/upper body strength a fair amount going by how much I can bench/curl/pullups, but I don't seem to be getting any closer to being able to beat this guy. He doesn't crush me but I can't move him hardly at all and when I get tired I go down.

So, what can I do both technique wise as well as workout wise to put me "Over the Top" so to speak?

notfreemoney 09-29-2007 09:04 PM

Re: How do I get better at arm wrestling?

arm wrestling is mostly your grip and forearm strength. If you have ever watched it on tv there is some technique to it so maybe look up some websites. I would just focus on having a good workout routine like one of the ones in the faq and then adding in some forearm/grip exercises. Yea its cool to beat this guy but have it as a secondary goal.

SmileyEH 09-29-2007 10:21 PM

haha, I honestly have never heard this as a motivation for working out. Plz do nothing but bicep curls with your wrestling arm .

Alobar 09-29-2007 11:00 PM

I would do some online searching for some stuff that will help you with your technique, and I think that will go waaaaaay farther for you than strength gains.

I routinely used to beat people much stronger than me because my uncle who was very good at arm wrestling showed me a bunch of stuff. Not saying like Im good or anything, or there are "tricks" just that most people have no clue what to do and if you have some clue youll do much better vs them.

Blarg 09-29-2007 11:13 PM

Just treat it like a sprint and lunge off the starting block like I see some guys do. It can be pretty LOL when some guy would be flying through the air except for their bewildered opponent trying to hold them back with just one arm.

Seriously though, there are forums devoted to arm wrestling. Check them out and I'm sure you will see tons of routines and tips.

smittymatt 09-30-2007 12:46 AM

notfreemoney,

your bug avatar had my swatting at my monitor for a good 10 secs

1C5 09-30-2007 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
notfreemoney,

your bug avatar had my swatting at my monitor for a good 10 secs

[/ QUOTE ]

LocustHorde 09-30-2007 12:49 PM

reverse barbell and dumbell curls, DB and BB wrist curls, DB and BB reverse wrist curls, and finally, plenty of wanking off..

soon2b 09-30-2007 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
notfreemoney,

your bug avatar had my swatting at my monitor for a good 10 minutes

[/ QUOTE ]

Weir 09-30-2007 02:44 PM

punch him in the face with your left arm, then he won't be ready to deal with the strength of your right arm.