Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Winrates at HU vs. 6-max NLCASH (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=511101)

xSCWx 09-28-2007 04:55 AM

Winrates at HU vs. 6-max NLCASH

Your typical 6-max table is running at ~100 H/hr, while your typical HU table is running at ~200 H/hr.

A solid long term win rate in most 6-max games from what I have seen is some 4-7 ptBB/100. From what I have seen in the HU forum breaking 10 ptBB/100 seems fairly common.

Why is 6-max so much more popular?

Vinetou 09-28-2007 05:02 AM

Re: Winrates at HU vs. 6-max CASH

Fishes lose money less quickly in 6max and they don't take it so personally when they lose.

Vinetou 09-28-2007 05:02 AM

Also, HU requires more skill than 6max.

xSCWx 09-28-2007 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fishes lose money less quickly in 6max and they don't take it so personally when they lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes sense in explaining why there would be more fish in 6-max, but why wouldn't the majority of solid players be sticking to HU where the win rates are significantly higher?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, HU requires more skill than 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider HU a lot more complicated than 6-max, but I would consider it more of a different skill than having a higher requirement. I've been crushing HU since I started and I was way below breaking even in 6-max. Presumably I have some huge flaw in my game there, but after many months of studying the game I still have no idea what it is. I was a very profitable 5-max SNG player (I've never seen 5-max cash so I can't use it as a better example), but I get annihilated in both 6-max SNGs and 6-max cash.

dboy23 09-28-2007 10:01 AM

people can 4-12table 6max. I think that is it.

TNixon 09-28-2007 10:06 AM

Why does anybody play HUCASH when your $/hr can be so much higher playing HUSNGs for the same buyin?

There are tradeoffs for everything.

With the higher winrate comes higher variance, and I would guess that it's not just "slightly" higher.

xSCWx 09-28-2007 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
people can 4-12table 6max. I think that is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahhh yeah, I overlooked that.

[ QUOTE ]
Why does anybody play HUCASH when your $/hr can be so much higher playing HUSNGs for the same buyin?

With the higher winrate comes higher variance, and I would guess that it's not just "slightly" higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess variance could make up for it. Contrary to what standard deviation says, my winrate and swings are both much huger in cash.

jakeduke 09-28-2007 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really true? How many SNGs can you play in an hour? Also, are the levels really equivalent (ie 220HU SNG more or less = 200NL)?

I think a big reason why many people did (and still do) play 6max over HU is that it requires a lot less attention/concentration, especially at lower stakes. As was said above, the ability to play 6-12 tables and just grind out a slow, steady profit is pretty appealing to many - rightfully so. Variance is lower, you don't have to play in many marginal spots (at least at lower levels), and there's many more resources to help you get better.

I also think tilt is a pretty huge issue for HU play. If you have tilt issues you're gonna get crushed playing HU, even against bad players. If you're playing 8 tables of 6-max it's pretty tough to take 4 or 5 big beats in quick succession since you don't play that many hands. HU, however, even playing 2 tables you can drop 4BI in like 5 hands if things go badly, and if you tilt from it you can lose 4 more just as fast by spewing.

TNixon 09-28-2007 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this really true? How many SNGs can you play in an hour? Also, are the levels really equivalent (ie 220HU SNG more or less = 200NL)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have it from somebody who I consider a very reliable source (cwar) that single-tabling turbos can very easily lead to a buy-in an hour. With a winrate of 10 big blinds/100 hands, which is commonly stated as a decent HUCASH winrate, figuring about 200 hands per hour, you'd be making somewhere around $20 an hour per table. So, you'd have to be 5-tabling 100NL to come close to the winrate of single-tabling $110s, if you can play an average of around 7 games per hour with a 60% winrate.

[ QUOTE ]
I think a big reason why many people did (and still do) play 6max over HU is that it requires a lot less attention/concentration

[/ QUOTE ]

This is certainly a factor for a lot of people. I don't really think it's realistic to expect that a lot of people are playing 6-12 tables at a time, though. I'd be much more inclined to think they want to be able to watch TV or whatever while they're playing without too much of a loss of play concentration.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

shipurstack 09-28-2007 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way