Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   STT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   $16 mid pair on bubble (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=510272)

Anna. 09-26-2007 11:01 PM

$16 mid pair on bubble

only real history w/ villain is this:
PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t3365)
CO (t475)
Button (t3185)
SB (t4480)
Hero (t1995)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to t450</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to t1995 (All-in)</font>, SB calls t1545

Flop: (t4215) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Turn: (t4215) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

River: (t4215) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 players)

Results in gray below:
<font color="#f7f7f7">SB has 3s, 3h (two pair, Kings and Fours)</font>
<font color="#f7f7f7">Hero has Qd, Qh (two pair, Kings and Queens)</font>

which leads up to this hand. villain has been opening quite often, but no one is really playing back or anything, wasn't really sure what to do w/ stack sizes and all. and no i'm not just going to use ICM because i'm pretty sure none of the players at this table know what that is.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

CO (t3410)
Hero (t3915)
SB (t3315)
BB (t2860)

Preflop: Hero is in Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="red">CO raises to t600</font>, <font color="gray">Hero ???</font>

vers 09-26-2007 11:28 PM

Re: $16 mid pair on bubble

If he is opening here often I am shoving this. Obviously loads of FE and you are way ahead of his range. If he is calling another 1500 w/ 33 in the other hand, you can't give him much respect.

09-27-2007 12:36 AM

Seems like shove is all you can do.

Scotty_12 09-27-2007 01:30 AM

I would shove it for the 900 overlay

bwiii 09-27-2007 03:37 AM

This is such a tight spot. I don't think you can go wrong either way. For the record, I would fold.

jurrasstoil 09-27-2007 09:09 AM

Since Villian has obviously no clue what he is doing, I'd shove here and see all his chips in my stack after a few seconds or throwing my bad-beat-guy across the room cause he sucked out on me...

HajiShirazu 09-27-2007 12:01 PM

I would fold because it's not that hard to have two cards over eight and he seems like a guy who's going to call if that's what he has.

sbj 09-27-2007 12:20 PM

Five things stand out to me:
1) you are the chip leader. use it like a club.
2) "villain has been opening quite often". put him on a wide range.
3) "no one is really playing back ". if you dont play back he will happilly steal himself into 1st.
4) you have a solid hand. if you're gonna need AA to call him, you're basically playing for second (at best).
5) He clearly does not play optimally given his call with 33 below.

I push.

Dalek 09-27-2007 12:35 PM

I vote for All-In with 88. If he has been stealing a lot your way ahead of his range - any two cards. Even if he does call you are probably a favourite looking at his previous call.

Anna. 09-27-2007 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Five things stand out to me:
1) you are the chip leader. use it like a club.
2) "villain has been opening quite often". put him on a wide range.
3) "no one is really playing back ". if you dont play back he will happilly steal himself into 1st.
4) you have a solid hand. if you're gonna need AA to call him, you're basically playing for second (at best).
5) He clearly does not play optimally given his call with 33 below.

I push.

[/ QUOTE ]

the chip leader thing is kind of irrelevant in this spot. it's a small lead against a non-thinking player, which is exactly why i posted this hand. this odd chip match up combined is why i posted this hand.

it's hard to tell because like someone said he's playing bad and 8,8 is probably ahead of his opening range, but it's very easy for him to show up w/ overs when calling a push and because of how many chips i have compared to the other 2 players not involved in this hand, it would be a shame to lose an other wise very winnable tourney (trust me, all players were very bad, which may factor into this also) because of losing this coinflip that i don't need to take part in anyway.