Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   "Cane" new show on CBS (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=509701)

Dids 09-26-2007 10:45 AM

\"Cane\" new show on CBS

The promos made this show look horrible.

It actually isn't. It's almost solid. There's not a lot of "new" here, but it's done pretty well.

Few other thoughts:

- weird to see Polly Walker functionally playing the same role she did in Rome. I'm not sure if this is ok if I can't see her terts.

- is sugar based ethanol really a viable fule alternative?

- Jimmy Smits gives good badass.

Anybody else check this out?

ZenMusician 09-26-2007 10:57 AM

Re: \"Cane\" new show on CBS

Caught a bit. Is it OK if I want this show to fail?

I agree that with Smits involved it has potential, but
Richard Alpert is needed back at the Island soon, so
let's say the show sucks.

-ZEN

tpir 09-26-2007 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't watch it for this exact reason. If it makes it past 4 eps I will try and catch up, but I am done with being an early adopter for these shows since most of the time they are abysmally bad and then I haychaychac for my hours of life back.

RedBean 09-26-2007 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A third of Brazil's auto fuel currently comes from sugar-based ethanol.

CrazyEyez 09-26-2007 11:44 AM

The promos made me think the network people had a meeting that went like this:

- You know what would be a cool setting for a show? MIAMI! People like CSI Miami.
- Agreed. Make it very latin-y.
- OMG JIMMY SMITS.
- What will it be about?
- Well we know that all Cubans in Florida run drugs, but we would be accused of racism. What else do they like to do? Oh - drink rum!
- Done and done.

KotOD 09-26-2007 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

It actually isn't. It's almost solid. There's not a lot of "new" here, but it's done pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't bad, though they are going to have to do some serious writing considering the way they ramped up the plot so quickly.

[ QUOTE ]
Few other thoughts:

- weird to see Polly Walker functionally playing the same role she did in Rome. I'm not sure if this is ok if I can't see her terts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her southern accent strikes me as odd.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's much more efficient as an ethanol fule than corn.

[ QUOTE ]
- Jimmy Smits gives good badass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, he got emo in the middle of badassedness. Less emo, more threatening Cuban killa.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody else check this out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rich family drama has been done many times over, but this is the first time we've gone Cuban and liquor! I don't see much they can write that will thrill people, so I guess the acting will have to carry it. I like that they are just taking the casts of 'OZ' and 'Rome' and telling them to do their thing though. Not a big fan of the 'Lost' dude in the Fredo role thus far.

ceczar 09-26-2007 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
not to make this an ethanol thread with all the political stuff that goes with it, but my general impression is that brazil has had a lot more success with its sugar-ethanol than we have with our corn-ethanol. supposedly it's more efficient in the absense of farm policy, but in light of corn and corn-ethanol subsidies, and sugar price supports and tariffs + a ban on sugar ethanol importing, we're not likely to see sugar ethanol here soon.

sethypooh21 09-26-2007 02:01 PM

The show was not terrible enough that I'll be mildly disappointed when it's canceled in mid-October. The Santo character has potential, but they probably won't use him much.

Is it weird that Jimmy Smit's wife and son's girlfriend look about the same age?

JJSCOTT2 09-26-2007 02:46 PM

Those promos every 5 seconds a couple months ago with the "sugar is the new oil" line eventually made me decide that I can't watch this show.

howzit 09-26-2007 02:50 PM

show should be about cocaine